Red wine as a gift

(5 Posts)
Totality22 Sat 25-Apr-15 15:47:23

I don't drink red so don't have a clue.

It's a "thank you for having us" gift afternoon BBQ as opposed to a Birthday gift so I don't want to spend a massive amount.

It will probably be purchased from Sainsburys!

Moln Sun 26-Apr-15 14:05:46

Go for something French or Italian. Keep it below 12.5%.

On top of that I'd look at what's on offer and buy and expensive one with the most off. grin

thenumberseven Tue 11-Aug-15 00:30:15

I'd go for a Rioja

alextillingwine Fri 13-Nov-15 08:44:22

If you're not too confident on wine then use the wotwine? app. it's free. All the supermarket wines have been tasted by professionals (master of wines, sommeliers and stuff) and you just scan the bar code and it will tell you if the wine is really good and worth the money. Or you can search by your favourite supermarket, wine style and price band. Simples!

DON'T buy on promotion! if you have seen the WHICH? report those are all artificially inflated prices just to reduce the price and they are rarely even worth the reduced price. It's a big scam!

TheDowagerCuntess Fri 13-Nov-15 09:01:23

OK, I'm totally biased, but I'd avoid French like the plague. You really don't know what you're getting, and it's highly unlikely to be good value for money.

New World is where it's at, but I would say that.

As for alcohol content, it wouldn't even occur to me to factor that into the decision making process.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now