Talk

Advanced search

Mean Uncle

(8 Posts)
Eve4Walle Mon 09-Nov-09 07:59:10

Here's the story....DHs brother split with his Fiancee a while back and is now married to another woman. He has a child with his ex, and while they were together, we had a £20 per present limit for the kids at Christmas and birthdays. We always stuck to it, even when things were tight. Anyhoo, on DDs birthday a few weeks ago, she received a £10 gift voucher from BIL and new SIL. I was a bit hmm and now don't know how to handle it with regards to gifts for his little boy? Do I stick to the £20 or buy a gift worth £10?

BTW - BIL works and earns a lot and so does his new wife, so money isn't the issue.

GunpowderTreasonAndDragons Mon 09-Nov-09 07:59:53

I'd go for £10.

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Mon 09-Nov-09 08:02:55

why were you hmm does it really matter if it was £10 or £20 - I wouldn't say he was mean.

Isn't a £20 per present limit a limit, not a must-spend-this-much rule? It sounds as though you've been interpreting it as a "spend £20" while your BIL has been interpreting it as "don't spend more than £20".

Buy the child what you want to buy him and don't get so hung up on exact parity, IMO.

BiscuitFace Mon 09-Nov-09 08:28:31

ffs!

Eve4Walle Mon 09-Nov-09 08:31:41

FFS what? Hardly a valid contribution is it?

JTGPsmummy Mon 09-Nov-09 09:47:25

I used to get hung up on what to spend, I suppose I do a little bit, but with money tight now I shop around for something on offer that actually looks like it cost more. Someone gets a good present for a fractions of the price. Just spend what you wnat. If you want to put it down to £10 then do. I wouldn't really think too much on what other people spend. My (12 year old!) sister does that and I find it an awful attitude to have.

posieparker Mon 09-Nov-09 09:52:36

Spend £10, unless BIL and SIL have little money and that's why they have reduced the price.

TBH, I think it's all a bit churlish to expect a present of a certain value. We set limits because we all spent too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now