Talk

Advanced search

Run out of money and family coming to stay. Should I cancel?

(28 Posts)
crankytwanky Fri 23-Oct-09 11:16:19

Soooo, due to higher-than expected bills this month, and EXp's boss not sending csa a cheque on time, we ran out of money about a week ago.
My sister and her bf were due to come for lunch this Sunday. Not a big prob, we arranged weeks ago.

My Father though has invited himself, his GF and her daughter to stay Sunday/Monday. I said yes, as I never thought we'd be so skint, and DD loves his SD. (They are the same age.)

We have no food in the house. Or loo roll etc.
I could use the John Lewis vouchers we have left for food, but I really wanted a bread-maker. I would have to borrow DD's £5 from her piggy bank for petrol to get to the nearest Waitrose, and maybe call in sick tomorrow, as I wouldn't have the petrol to get to work.

Or I could call Dad and tell him we all have the lurgy, although I hardly ever see him.

sad

WWYD?

crankytwanky Fri 23-Oct-09 11:17:22

John Lewis vouchers wedding gift, I should add.

louii Fri 23-Oct-09 11:20:00

Would you not just tell the truth, its your family, no shame in admitting you are skint.

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Fri 23-Oct-09 11:20:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Fri 23-Oct-09 11:21:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

overthemill Fri 23-Oct-09 11:22:40

oh dear what a bind for you. how well do you get on with your dad? would you be able to say, 'we'd love to see you, but we're really broke because we haven't had the maintenance money yet. could you just come for a shorter visit on sunday/monday and would you mind bringing something towards lunch/tea?'
and then manage somehow - when you say 'no food' is that literally right or is there something that you could use do you think? loads of food tips on credit crunch topic
if it helps, i would want to know - when mt ds was very very broke i would sometimes invite myself to lunch and then bring the main course

crankytwanky Fri 23-Oct-09 11:24:44

Oh, so touched at your fast responses.

louii I could tell my sis but not Dad about it. We both have a real problem discussing money with him. He made us feel sooo guilty about it as children. Unintentionally I think, but he never let us forget how much we cost him.

Watch.., I think you're right about work. Don't leave work till 8.30pm tomorrow, so I'll see if Waitrose is still open then.

crankytwanky Fri 23-Oct-09 11:31:11

They would have to stay, over.., as they'd be coming from miles away.

I do have frozen portions of stuff, but everyone would have different stuff! grin

It's things like tea, bread, milk veg, fruit we have none of.

Am I being silly and being too proud?

bodycolder Fri 23-Oct-09 11:34:14

Use the vouchers your dd will remember family parties and friends when she grows up but will never mention the bread maker wink

crankytwanky Fri 23-Oct-09 11:43:10

Hmmm, good point bodycolder. She is super excited about DF's SD. (Step-aunt?)

If you guys had bought someone vouchers for their wedding, and they spent it on bog-roll, would you think it bad form?

Alibooobaandthe40phantoms Fri 23-Oct-09 11:49:17

Can you speak to your sister and see if she can maybe lend you £20 to get stuff in for the weekend and a bit of petrol and then pay her back when your csa cheque comes?

If not, then use the vouchers definitely. I wouldn't mind at all if I'd bought them for you as a wedding gift - in fact I'd be upset to think that you wouldn't use them to help yourself through a tough spot if you needed to.

crankytwanky Fri 23-Oct-09 11:57:22

I'd feel awkward, Aliboobaa. I will ask her to bring wine I think. Also a good way to tell her why I'm not drinking!wink
(Another reason to see them all, I'm 20 weeks and haven't told them yet!)blush

The consensus seems to be to go for it. You guys are ace! I was feeling really down & upset before! smile

SexyDomesticatedDad Fri 23-Oct-09 12:04:57

Congratulations! Would it be OK for me to give you a gift of some money via PayPal to hep you out?

colditz Fri 23-Oct-09 12:07:18

If I bought someone vouchers and they spent it on bog roll I would assume they needed bog roll!

crankytwanky Fri 23-Oct-09 12:16:16

Gosh, no thank you sexydad.! That's really kind of you!

We'll be ok at the end of the month, it's just this weekend really.

I think I'm going to coast to Waitrose grin, and use my Boots points for nappies.

That's good to know, colditz!smile

You lot are lovely!

Alibooobaandthe40phantoms Fri 23-Oct-09 12:25:18

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Hope you have a lovely weekend!

SexyDomesticatedDad Fri 23-Oct-09 12:29:59

CT - its a genuine offer with NSA - can't say we are rolling in it but we don't need to think about the costs too much when we do a shop and seem to have enough stocks in for a small siege wink. Just wanted to provide a little support where there is genuine need.

goryminx Fri 23-Oct-09 12:32:01

You could probably pick up a breadmaker at carboot/freecycle/charity shop as its one of those things that people buy then get rid - see you can have your cake and eat it. wink

goryminx Fri 23-Oct-09 12:33:11

What a kind person you are SDD!

TheDevilEatsBabies Fri 23-Oct-09 12:35:14

I personally would use the frozen food portions for dinner.

what time do you start work though? if it's later on in the day you could do waitrose on the way and if you got chilled rather than frozen food it would keep all day in your car (in the boot in a box stuffed with newspaper or ice blocks)

throckenholt Fri 23-Oct-09 12:40:35

I would tell your dad you have a cash flow crisis - food is likely to be pot luck from the freezer - is that ok - or would you like to rearrange for another time.

Nothing to be ashamed of. And maybe he will still come and offer to lend you a bit to tide you over or pay for the food. As long as it is not a regular occurrence then surely he won't mind ?

crankytwanky Fri 23-Oct-09 12:48:51

Or my bread gory!grin

I work 8-8 Devil. I can't find the stores opening hours, as it's only just opened.hmm

I have basmati and spices, so I'm thinking a big ruby might do the trick. I have some curried stuff in the freezer. I would usually make side gubbins, but I could just make chapatis Sunday morning.

crankytwanky Fri 23-Oct-09 16:02:50

Ok, so I've done an ocado shop to save petrol, although now quite sad as it had to be £40+ and I waved goodbye to my breadmaker.
Food should last the week though.smile

If Dad wants to go anywhere, I will tell him I can't.

Thank you all so much for your advice.grin
And your kind offer sdd smile

goryminx Fri 23-Oct-09 19:38:34

I bet there in a MN'er that has a bread-maker they would give you....

Ewe Fri 23-Oct-09 19:41:31

When you have the money you can buy the bread-maker though, just think of the cash as the vouchers, put it aside.

Glad you've got it sorted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now