Talk

Advanced search

does honesty pay?

(10 Posts)
BlueFlotsam Mon 19-Oct-09 19:17:34

Last Sat. I was asked to account sit on a browser game I play. I was not at all familiar with this player but made it clear that I already account sit for 2 other players.

Anyway, I accepted this account and was playing my own account and two others, plus this 'third account', and yet another game, whilst enjoying some very well deserved (too much?) white wine and watching XFactor.

So, game was very busy and I was getting lots of mail. I thought I had inadvertently opened mail addressed to this player. I shut it down immediately and spent a sleepless night worrying about it.

I didnt want this player to think I had been reading their mail. So I decided to come clean and try to explain.

Boy did it blow up in my face.

This player seemed to think I had spent my Sat. evening avidly trawling thru his mail box. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I could have done and this player would not have known, but because I didnt want to be thought of in that way I decided to be up front and honest! (why do I never learn?).

Now I believe my character has been spoiled, not knowing what he has said to other players in the game IYSWIM. I am really upset over this.

I guess I should have kept my mouth shut!
What would you have done?
I know in the grand scheme of things it isnt so big but it is really upsetting me.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 19-Oct-09 19:25:18

Er, this player gave you access to his/her email (sorry, I don't play online games - or offline ones if it comes to that) and is now bitching that you may have read it?

Tell him/her to FOFF.

Tidey Mon 19-Oct-09 19:27:33

What game is it?

I think I would have done exactly the same thing in telling him, sounds like you were just busy and not thinking straight and you were right to apologise if you had accidentally read mail for him. Is it likely that he has told other people that you are nosy and not to let you look after their games?

eyetunes Mon 19-Oct-09 19:30:20

You were right to tell him. I don't understand the online games bit but how dare he have a go, when he gave you his account to look after. tell him to fuck off.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 19-Oct-09 19:30:52

I wouldn't have said anything - no-one will ever thank you for telling them you have read their email, regardless of intent. It's like looking in someone's knicker drawer. I would just apologise once again and leave him to it. I suspect he won't say anything to anyone (esp. if he's got anything dodgy in his mailbox!)

BlueFlotsam Mon 19-Oct-09 19:38:55

LOL WMMChoc...
exactly
I wouldnt dream of going thru anybody's knicker drawer.. and that is what I felt I had done.
And yes.. if the mail was that private, why appoint me as account sitter, why not just delete it?

And to be honest I dont have a clue what I read, I just knew it didnt make sense to me!

(shakes head in despair). But you know. I would rather be honest! At the end of the day I still think I did the right thing!

and thank you all so much for your replies

BlueFlotsam Mon 19-Oct-09 19:39:33

The game btw is Tribal Wars
and is generally great fun

JodieO Mon 19-Oct-09 19:39:56

What game was it?

whomovedmychocolate Mon 19-Oct-09 19:45:29

He probably embarrassed because he's been buying used underwear on ebay! grin

I wouldn't appoint anyone as account sitter unless I had a really clean computer. hmm

BlueFlotsam Mon 19-Oct-09 19:55:57

aw thank you Ladies.

I would still prefer to be honest at the end of the day. It is who/what I am, for better or worse LOL more often worse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now