Talk

Advanced search

When do you start correcting your DCs speech?

(7 Posts)
RainRainGoAway Mon 19-Oct-09 17:54:29

DD is 5 and still says 'wiv' for 'with', vere for there etc.

Not been too bothered about it, it is fairly cute. But equally, I don't really want her to end up sounding like Jonathan Ross.

So when do I start with the 'say THere' stuff or do I leave well enough alone and it will sort itself out.
Any advice gratefully received. smile

plantsitter Mon 19-Oct-09 17:56:53

I think (with no professional experience ) it's better to clearly model the 'correct' way than tell her to say it a certain way at 5. So start agreeing with her a lot so you can repeat what she says 'yes, there is, isn't there?'

plantsitter Mon 19-Oct-09 17:57:40

sorry for terrible grammar in that sentence!

RainRainGoAway Mon 19-Oct-09 18:03:03

Thanks Plant -I promise to ignore your grammar! (i have utterly rubbish grammar!)
I have tried doing that, and also getting her to 'spit out' with a big raspberry the TH noise (as a jokey thing) but its not getting better. Will keep at that.

Just don't want her to get a complex, equally, I had a terrible lisp that needed speech therepy for years which was really annoying.

plantsitter Mon 19-Oct-09 19:18:51

Bumping for you in case one of the professionals is around!

loonpants Thu 22-Oct-09 20:40:25

hello, I'm a speech therapist

The advice about not correcting is right. You should make a point of pronouncing correctly a couple of times in context so she can hear.

You don't need to worry about "th" until the age of 7.

However, some accents do, unfortunately, do exactly what you described!

crankytwanky Fri 23-Oct-09 12:56:45

I'd just repeat the sentence correctly, as plantsitter says.
eg "how much dogs are there?"
"Ooh I don't know how many dogs there are."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now