Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

due to run 10k tomorrow, now feel ill, wwyd?

(9 Posts)
tasmaniandevilchaser Sat 17-Oct-09 17:05:58

hi there, after not being ill all through pregnancy and first 7mths of dd's life, now have been non-stop ill for the last 2 weeks.

Due to run a 10k tomorrow, have already downgraded it to a speed walk as running brought back my pelvic girdle pain.

All this is fine, but now coming down with really rotten cold, sore throat, chesty cough etc etc.

Run is for charity, but one saving grace is that dh and I were doing it together and share a sponsorship 'Just giving' page so any money has been donated to the both of us and he will still be running.

I'm torn between just getting on with it and doing it anyway and horror at the thought of exhausting myself further and looking after a very lively (and at the moment grumpy) 7mth old all week feeling like crap.

WWYD?

tasmaniandevilchaser Sat 17-Oct-09 17:23:50

hello? anyone?

JiminyCricket Sat 17-Oct-09 17:31:44

Don't do it. Let people know you had to be sensible and it wasn't your choice to pull out. Any symptoms 'below neck' you shouldn't run through e.g. chesty cough, sore throat. Sniffles and headaches etc are one thing but there's no point making yourself ill and you will feel really fed up walking it I bet.

roisin Sat 17-Oct-09 17:32:56

I would drop out. You sound really poorly and it's not really that important.

If you over-exert yourself now it might take you longer to recover.

Merle Sat 17-Oct-09 17:35:02

I'd do it. I've done it. I'm fine. Just don't go too fast. Jog along with your husband and don't go too mad. (unless you wake up tomorrow morning feeling like death, that is). Drink lots of water tonight, rest etc, I'll be great.

tasmaniandevilchaser Sat 17-Oct-09 18:17:51

thanks for your replies, still not decided, will see how I feel tomorrow morning.

Merle, certainly won't be going too fast!! Will be walking it (due to pelvic girdle pain coming back), wouldn't ask dh to walk with me, someone needs to get back to the babysitter anyway.

Merle Sun 18-Oct-09 21:20:23

When I said 'don't go too fast' I meant decide on a pace and stick too it- don't get seized by race mania and run it like a madwoman. (I do this every race I run, regardless of what I say about taking it easy or sticking with my friends.

ANYWAY, did you do it??

tasmaniandevilchaser Mon 19-Oct-09 13:20:33

sadly didn't do it, dd was poorly too and my throat and chest were hurting just sitting still, let alone speed walking in the freezing cold. Felt so poorly that I don't actually feel guilty, but it was very disappointing. There's always another race tho...

Merle Mon 19-Oct-09 21:26:17

There is . You don't sound well enough at all. Probably for the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now