Talk

Advanced search

how to get to work? old, new-old, new, train? -little long

(13 Posts)
bebemoo Thu 08-Oct-09 16:19:54

Current situation: DH driving 130 miles to work on Monday and the same home on Friday in an old car which although reasonable for its age and very reliable is noisy, uncomfortable, lacks safety features and is making the drive very tiring, and making him want to work on it on the weekends (which cuts into family time). He's currently stays in nice hotels on expenses, and brings a bike and kit with him to ride in the week in the local forests.
He's got it into his head he needs a new car. But 3 months ago we were worried about money because he's a contractor and he couldn't find a job...

Options:
1) Save/borrow a few grand for a less crap less old car
2) Mostly borrow 10-12 grand for the car he really wants
3) Mostly borrow even more money and scrap the old car for a brand new one (on much better interest rates)
4) Get a serviced appartment instead of a hotel, leave his bike down there and get the train in.

These are organised in ascending order of eco-friendliness, which is a factor given the large number of miles involved.

But I personally feel that if we're going to get a new car than I want one which will fit the lifestyle that we're envisioning for ourselves, so a little commuter is not really an option; we'd need to buy a car which will allow us to pull the caravan we've been dreaming of getting....

What would you do?

Guimauve Thu 08-Oct-09 16:40:01

I would do train. (Mostly) Very unstressful, you can sit and read/ sleep/ eat etc. Then you can continue to save up for ginormous caravan-pulling, multiple-child-carrying behemoth!

bebemoo Thu 08-Oct-09 17:40:07

Multiple child carrying behemoth... You been taking to my DH...No more kids yet! wink

Train.

Guimauve Thu 08-Oct-09 18:24:38

Any-more-suggestions bump!

bebemoo Thu 08-Oct-09 19:42:06

It's interesting to see that the answers I get are 'train' actually since when Dh posted on a forum he's on they suggested 'new-old' was the way to go...

Guimauve Thu 08-Oct-09 20:20:59

Of course they did. Is it the TopGear forum or some such? The 'buying a new toy' option will always be the winner for blokes grin

bebemoo Thu 08-Oct-09 20:26:01

Yeah...it is a more bloke central forum. But it's a cycling forum not a car forum.

Make option 4 "travel by train and buy a really cool new bike to keep at serviced apartments" and watch what happens to their responses...

Guimauve Thu 08-Oct-09 21:02:05

grin

bebemoo Fri 09-Oct-09 10:33:13

lol
only you wouldn't say that if you knew how many bikes my DH already owns and how expensive they are can be (easily the price of a used car!)
I made I rule...only six bikes in a 2 person home... so when we had dd he asked if he could get another one! shock

Guimauve Fri 09-Oct-09 15:20:30

So, one general purpose mountain bike, one for downhilling, a road bike......but 6?? Though I imagine my brother has a similar number! Does DH do the Dyfi Enduro?

bebemoo Sat 10-Oct-09 16:07:39

There's no such thing as a general purpose mountain bike I learned after I got married...
there's cross-country mountain bikes and downhill mountain bikes and mountain bikes made for climbing... (so that's 3) and then there's a road bike (4) and commuter bike/hybrid type (5) and I cannot remember what the other one is now.... He really wants a time trial bike.

He does Enduros, but I'm not sure he does Dyfi...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now