Talk

Advanced search

Should I go back or not?

(12 Posts)
ChilloHippi Mon 05-Oct-09 15:47:55

I started a course today at a local SureStart centre. I was left a message telling me that it started today and letting me know the time.
I turned up, popped DS into the creche and went into the course. It appears I hadn't been told that I needed to bring my own materials, so all I could do was watch today. That's ok, but...
I was the only English speaker there, which is not a problem, apart from the fact that the woman running the course also didn't speak or understand English.
I spent an hour and a half watching other women chatting away and working.
I sat there thinking about what I would honestly get from the course and whether it was worth my while going back next week or not, and had made my mind up not to go back.
But when I picked DS up, he was so happy and had had a fantastic time and was really keen to go back next week.
So what do I do? I don't really want to go back on the course as I don't feel I will gain anything.
Would it be really morally wrong to put DS in the creche and not go to the course? (It would be easy to do as they are in separate buildings).
What would you do?

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Mon 05-Oct-09 15:56:27

Why doesn't the person teaching the course speak english? You would have thought it would be mandatory to her her teaching.
What course is it?
I wouldn't take your DS to the creche if you're not attending the course as even though they are in different buildings they will communicate to each other and you'll probably get found out blush. I there another course you could do?
I would complain tbh as it's not fair that your missing out because you can't understand the teacher.

GypsyMoth Mon 05-Oct-09 15:59:27

bloody hell!!

i would ask for an explanation on this! not very inclusive is it?

LIZS Mon 05-Oct-09 16:03:29

What was the course as that seems rather odd. Could you speak to the organisers as either you were invited to go, by error, due to a misapprehension of your circumstances or it isn't equally open to all participants as you couldn't participate and communicate. I work in a similar field and we only fund childcare places of those who attend each session - and do cross check attendance. Creche places are usually limited by staffing ratios and space, so your child being there may mean that another person to whom the course would be of more benefit, cannot go .

ChilloHippi Mon 05-Oct-09 16:03:45

I told DH about it, and he says that the centre must be catering to the surrounding areas, which is fair enough, but I also live in the surrounding area and it's my local centre.
There was no indication on the original course advertisement, nor when I enrolled (in person), that the course was aimed at particular people, except for mothers in the local area.
I'm not sure who I would speak to about it.

ChilloHippi Mon 05-Oct-09 16:05:26

You're right, Lizs. I didn't think of it like that and I won't put him in the creche and do a runner.

LIZS Mon 05-Oct-09 16:42:52

Who did you enrol with ? You should give feedback so that the next course is targetted more appropriately or perhaps a different tutor used. It isn't right that you felt excluded.

ChilloHippi Mon 05-Oct-09 16:51:13

The lady I enrolled with was English and was (I presume) the receptionist of the centre. How would I give feedback?

LIZS Mon 05-Oct-09 17:57:36

Go and tellt he lady on the desk that you won't be returning as it didn't seem relevant, so perhaps they could offer your place to someone else. However you'd like to do other classes in the future, cna you leave your details . It may be a charity or company who organise the courses and you could ask for contact details to find out more about what may be on offer locally and email your feedback.

ChilloHippi Mon 05-Oct-09 18:10:31

I shall go in and speak to them. Thanks for all your advice.

dreamylady Mon 05-Oct-09 19:39:39

ooh that must have felt really uncomfortable! but yes, what Lizs said sounds good - sometimes the centres put on specific courses targeted at parents who don't speak english to help get them accessing services they wouldn't know about, build their confidence in becoming part of the wider community, stop them being isolated and so on - I'm sure there will be something you'd find interesting and rewarding, its a great result if there's a creche your DS loved. Some sure starts even offer a creche just for an hour or so so you can get a break, time to do what you want and recharge your batteries, and for your child to get to play with others of a similar age. ask about that too. good luck! smile

ohnelly Sat 10-Oct-09 11:08:19

Are you sure you went to the right course? lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now