Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Formula fed baby, advice needed please.

(12 Posts)
fattybumbum Sat 03-Oct-09 09:05:26

Hi, my baby is 4 days old and feeding very well ie taking lots of milk in one go and can go for long spaces between feeds (he is a good weight). When we got home from the hospital we started him on slow flow teats but his milk intake went down a lot as he obviously found it too much work to suck.

We have tried him on medium and fast flow teats and his milk intake shot back up again. He has no problem feeding from them and does not choke but he is full of wind. I fear that it may be because he is a 'gulper' - however moving him back onto the slow flow teats will mean tiny frequent feeds which I don't want, especially at night! Any advice please? He was obviosly in pain last night and his wee tummy was gurgling and boinking all night.

LynetteScavo Sat 03-Oct-09 09:15:56

Congratulations on your baby! [smile

You might want to post this in the babyfeedng topic (or what ever it's called)

What type of botles are you using?

I'm presuming you are winding hime after feeds!

EccentricaGallumbits Sat 03-Oct-09 09:24:44

a 4 day old baby really needs to have tiny frequent feeds rather than longer gaps and bottles full.
the fast flow teats do encurage babys to gulp, giving more wind.
Tis a bit of a balance.

Prunerz Sat 03-Oct-09 09:30:03

Best advice these days is to feed a formula-fed baby as you would breastfeed, iyswim, so small, frequent feeds are better than big, widely-spaced feeds. Aiming for 3 or 4 hour gaps is what people used to do, but that sort of advice is outdated now. Little babies just do feed frequently and might not have very much at one feed but it's not bad or wrong. smile (Though it isn't great for your sleep but it does all sort itself out eventually!) His tummy really isn't designed to deal with a anything other than a small feed, so that might be why he's sore at night.

fattybumbum Sat 03-Oct-09 09:31:41

Hi, I posted this on the bottle feeding forum too, just thought I might get more answers here. I am burping him after feeds. What do you think about using some medium flow and some slow flow teats to try and balance it?
Also does anyone know what a 'tiger in the tree' holding position looks like? I've read that it's good for bringing up their wind, but I don't know how to do it.

Prunerz Sat 03-Oct-09 09:35:49

Is that the one where you hold him, tummy down, on your arm, legs and arms dangling, head on your upturned palm? I found that one really good for winding a small baby.

Honestly, at this age, I'd go for the smaller feeds with the slow-flow teats, and only change when he gets to the stage that his cheeks are sucking in if he's fighting to get the milk out of the bottle (iirc it was a few weeks?) But it's not an exact science.

dutchmanswife Sat 03-Oct-09 09:42:25

Have you tried winding half way through a feed. I always did that for mine and it did help.

There's lots of different types of teats on the market so you may need to try a few before you find one that suits.

BertieBotts Sat 03-Oct-09 09:55:44

Yes prunerz is right about Tiger in the Tree - my DS used to love that I think I'd break my arm trying these days wink

Stripycat23 Mon 05-Oct-09 16:28:50

Have you tried Dr Brown bottles? My ds1 was a gulper so switched to these bottles on a number 2 teat which helped. I also used Infacol when he was a few weeks old.

If you do use Dr Browns bottles make sure the top is not tight on when you warm it. If it's too tight the milk will scoot up the middle of the bottle.

Other than than, try to get the most enormous burp out of him!!

johnworf Tue 06-Oct-09 12:09:36

I had major problems with wind when my DD was tiny (due mostly to the Nutriprem formula methinks). I used Doctor Browns and found them to be fab.

Also good winding tip; put your baby on your right knee with your right hand under their chin. Move knee from side to side i.e. to meet your left knee whilst rubbing babies back in circular motions. Really works a treat for bringing up wind (don't ask me how I dunno but it does!)

HTH.

ChunkyMonkeysMum Mon 12-Oct-09 16:14:04

Yes, definitely try winding him half way through a feed. I always found this worked well too.

Infacol worked for DS1 but not DS2, so I tried Gripe Water & that also helped.

Tryharder Tue 13-Oct-09 11:00:00

I wouldn't use fast flow teats for a newborn - I really, really wouldn't.

If ever either of mine had a bottle, we gave it to them ounce by ounce. Drink one ounce, then wind/pat for a while, then another ounce and so on until bottle finished. This was advice given to DH and his XW by a paed when they had DSS who was formula fed from the off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now