Talk

Advanced search

MIL - should i say something about her 'present'???

(21 Posts)
zebramummy Fri 02-Oct-09 21:18:57

DH went abroad to visit MIL last week - she sent a 'present' for 'us both' - an overpriced duvet cover and ONE matching pillowcase - these come separately packaged btw. relations between us have been frosty from time to time; without ever having overboiled into a slanging match (she would do- i have witnessed this as a bystander on one occasion, though i am not like her wink.
i reckon it was a deliberate jibe - during her last visit, she became aware that ds and I were cosleeping at the time (he had just turned 2). although this happened with dh's blessing, it would be just like her to want to have her tuppence worth without outing her self as a busybody. dh thinks that it was a genuine mistake as pillowcases could be bought in packs of two. hmm. it could also be cost-related - i would not want to spend £20 on a pillowcase for her either!
although i am fundamentally indifferent about most things to do with her, i am not sure whether something needs to be said; not least, to discourage her from continuing with such behaviour. i have to be sensitive as her own marriage ended because of her frigidity by her own admission - i almost wish she had stuck to bath smellies

ScaryFucker Fri 02-Oct-09 21:22:56

fgs, you both sound as bad as each other

this is a potential family split over bed linen

come on love, rise above it, eh ?

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Fri 02-Oct-09 21:23:34

Sorry, but that's hilarious

not worth responding to imo! Just roll your eyes and take the high ground! (and the posh pillow)

theslightlypeckishcaterpillar Fri 02-Oct-09 21:25:10

Sounds like a genuine mistake.

Scaryfucker is right, it's really not worth making a fuss over and having a massive bust up.

MavisEnderby Fri 02-Oct-09 21:25:48

I would ignore and keep the peace.

I do have a few issues with MIL too boring to relate,but the dcs love her to bits and she is their gp.

Sometimes the smile and nod politely option is the best,even if you are inwardly seething

mhmummy Fri 02-Oct-09 21:39:35

Ignore, ignore, ignore. Either it's a genuine mistake OR she's trying to rile you. Don't give her the satisfaction - just concentrate on your own family.

zebramummy Sat 03-Oct-09 19:41:28

thanks for the replies - I never intended to go in all guns blazing, just adopt the same approach as herself. coincidentally, I dropped an unopened jar of jam that she had made so if she ever cares to ask about that...wink

scroobiuspirate Sat 03-Oct-09 19:45:07

was the pillow case in it's own packaging? like plastic type?

She may well have thought she was buying two.

scroobiuspirate Sat 03-Oct-09 19:45:26

was the pillow case in it's own packaging? like plastic type?

She may well have thought she was buying two.

scroobiuspirate Sat 03-Oct-09 19:45:40

sorry !!!

Lilyloooohhhh Sat 03-Oct-09 19:47:06

i would think she likely thought it was pack of two
not really worth having words about is it ?

zebramummy Sat 03-Oct-09 20:11:43

yes but it also has a little sticker on it stating that there is one in there and a big piece of paper inside stating pillowcase in the singular. she has bought that brand loads before so i doubt she would not know that!!

CarGirl Sat 03-Oct-09 20:13:51

I would just get your dh to ask her to get another so "we" can use them. Makes the point without making a deal out of it that she can retaliate to.

IWantToLiveOnAFarm Sat 03-Oct-09 20:14:12

Just buy the matching one yourself.

justaboutautumn Sun 04-Oct-09 19:43:38

Message withdrawn

WhereYouLeftIt Sun 04-Oct-09 20:22:22

I'd hate to have bedlinen not matching (yes, I know I am sad) and you say DH went abroad to visit her, so is this bedlinen even available here to buy a second pillowcase yourself?

I'd get DH to let her know there was only one pillowcase and see if she sends a second. It's entirely possible it was an error on her part, and if it wasn't it'll get up her nose if you don't rise to the bait.

zebramummy Fri 09-Oct-09 10:35:41

well i think she owned up to having done it deliberately - i sat on it for a week so i think she figured out that she was not going to get the desired response! apparently, she sent me a bag of cloth - yes, cloth- so i could have some clothes made-to-measure; i'm now guessing that is because i have put on weight since she first met me (anything over a size 10 is morbidly obese in her books, she has said that before) or maybe it's something to do with my three arms and five legs making it difficult to source ready-made clotheswink

CarGirl Fri 09-Oct-09 11:50:30

zebra shock does your MIL have issues or what! Did your dh speak to her then or did it just turn up?

ChilloHippi Fri 09-Oct-09 12:09:22

She sounds hilarious! Put the new bedding on the bed, with a second pillow case that doesn't match at all and then show her how nice it looks grin

CarGirl Sat 10-Oct-09 10:58:38

Tell her that you and dh have christened it.

zebramummy Sat 10-Oct-09 19:52:20

yes - i would say she does have issues, dh always gives her the benefit of the doubt though; he is the favourite son and would never accept that his mother would do that - personally i have put up with it for over a decade so I am grin regardless

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now