Talk

Advanced search

I'm being asked to babysit while friends go out?

(16 Posts)
Propeller Thu 01-Oct-09 18:58:48

I have just recieved a text from a friend asking me to babysit her kids so she & her DH can go out with mutual friends who also invited me & DH - I wanted to go, but dont have a baby sitter....how would you respond?

FabBakerGirlIsSURVIVED Thu 01-Oct-09 19:00:00

Does she know you were originally invited?

TBH I think it is irrelevant. You either want to babysit or you don't.

RealityIsAnAuntie Thu 01-Oct-09 19:00:01

Message withdrawn

RealityIsAnAuntie Thu 01-Oct-09 19:00:44

Message withdrawn

missmapp Thu 01-Oct-09 19:00:44

Id text back ' sorry, x asked us aswell and we are still hunting for a babysitter, lets hope we are both succesful, hope to see you soon x ' if she is a friend, she wont mind. Im sure she just didnt realise you had been asked aswell

Propeller Thu 01-Oct-09 19:03:58

Yes she knew - we all received the same text inviting us out.

Hassled Thu 01-Oct-09 19:06:48

Just say sorry, not possible as trying really hard to find a sitter myself. And that maybe if you can't get one, she could sit for your kids rather than vice versa?

What a bloody nerve. The friend, not you.

missmapp Thu 01-Oct-09 19:08:11

okay, then thats a bit weird, just say no, i cant babysit as i am still hoping to find a sitter myself - even if it is at the last minute!

Rindercella Thu 01-Oct-09 19:09:53

Agree with missmapp and Hassled - send text back saying you're trying to find a babysitter for that night yourselves as you want to go out.

I think it's very cowardly of her to text you about this too - why not pick up the 'phone and ask you in person?!

Blooming cheek!

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 01-Oct-09 19:11:16

Sheesh! Are you sure you can't find a sitter?

What a FUCKING cheek. Sorry I know we're supposed to be keeping ourselves in check but this has made my blood BOIL on your behalf angry.

traceybath Thu 01-Oct-09 19:16:12

Recommend sitters to her and also use them yourselves and then you can all go out.

Rindercella Thu 01-Oct-09 19:17:34

Good recommendation by tracey - we use sitters and they've been great.

vinblanc Sat 03-Oct-09 11:24:53

I would babysit for my friend, no point in both of you being miserable.

Or suggest an alternative party where all six of you can be together.

cat64 Sat 03-Oct-09 11:40:15

Message withdrawn

vinblanc Sat 03-Oct-09 11:58:49

I agree, Cat.

A true friend would put the other one first, (and you can only control your own behaviour, not the other person's before anyone says that the friend should have volunteered to babysit). Therefore, let her go on the evening out with your blessing and look after her kids.

She will do the same for you another time, not that you should keep track.

Lilyloooohhhh Sat 03-Oct-09 19:44:52

I think that's a bit off would have been nicer for her to invite you round to theirs or vice versa if neither of you could get sitters

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now