Advanced search

CRB check

(8 Posts)
gomum3 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:24:50

My ex husband was violant towards me when we lived together (and still is occasionally), he has also been violent towards my son in the past. Also he recently got arrested for strangling his current partner.

He still see's our two children on a regular basis and I keep records of any abusivness or aggresivness towards them, at the end of the day he is their dad and they need to have some contact with him.

I work at the school my two children attend and recently my ex husband has become a member of the parents assosiation. Having known him for over 20 years, I know he is doing this to intimidate me, as he knows I cannot stop him "helping out".

Does anyone know if you need a CRB check to work on the parents assosiation at a school? He has a record of being violent and currently he is helping arrange events and standing outside the school giving out leaflets in the mornings.

Any help or suggestions would help.


MummyDoIt Mon 28-Sep-09 21:27:55

Sympathies to you for being in such an awkward situation.

At our school, you don't need to be CRB checked if you're on the Parents' Association because you are never alone with the children. If you help out during school hours, eg listening to children read, you do

weblette Mon 28-Sep-09 21:30:21

Actually all members of our school's PTA do have to have a CRB, on the assumption that at an event there might be an occasion where a helper had sole charge of a child...

gomum3 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:30:38

That's what I thought. Oh well, not alot I can do but pretend that I'm not intimidated by his presence then. Thanks

evaangel2 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:30:44

As a volunteer for the scouts, I never needed a CRB check which I thought was a bit odd..I would speak to the head in confidence about this.

bumpybecky Mon 28-Sep-09 21:33:38

At our school all PTA members are CRB checked. I have a feeling it's a condition of the PTA insurance.

If I was in your situation I think I'd have a confidential word with the Headteacher and explain the situation. Otherwise are you in a union? do they have an employee helpline you could call? I think your employer (the school) has a duty of care towards you, and if you're being intimidated by him in this way, they might be able to help.

Hope you can get something sorted out, sounds very difficult

gomum3 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:38:17

Mmmm maybe I should speak to the Head teacher about this. The reason I am reluctant to bring this subject up with the head teacher is that as I also work there, it is a bit of a private matter and I wouldn't want it to effect my position or any future positions which may be available to me.

I also know that my Ex-husband has been into the office and gave them a sob story how he is being kept away from his children as my son told me he was present at the time.

This is total rubbish as he see's the kids on a regular basis and I am happy for him to do this, I just don't like the fact that he is popping up into all aspects of my new life, when he has no need too.

He is a Bully and instead of getting on with his new life with his new family, he would rather spend his time intimidating me anyway he can get away with.

peanutbutterkid Tue 29-Sep-09 18:42:18

What about having a word with the head of the PTA? The Charity Commission required named pTA officers to be CRB'd last I looked it up, but the expectations change all the time and your PTA may not be up to date with the latest guidance.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: