Talk

Advanced search

in a real quandry - please tell me what youd do.

(12 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Fri 25-Sep-09 17:07:27

this is a sticky wicket. am already feeling horrible about it actually...

ive been offered a lovely new job, and i want it. its local to where i live, and it fits exactly what i need - the money and hours are great and my new employers seem lovely - its for my doctors.

now the problem. i have been working for someone for the last 10 months where i didnt really settle, crap boss etc, a long commute and rubbish money to boot - whilst there i applied for the police. i didnt expect to get anywhere. i have - and ive got the assessment centre process next month.
if i get through the assessment centre they will write to my GP for my medical records - i will still be on probation in my job for MY GP!!!
if i tell them now they will simply retract their offer of employment and if i dont get through the assessment centre they never need to know anyway....
if i do get through the assessment centre it will be a miracle anyway and id be ecstactic but then id have to tell my brand new employers that in X months (could be from 6 months to 2 years) i will be leaving...i hate feeling so dishonest, but if i tell them now and THEN fail the centre ill have no job at all...feel in a horrible dilemma.
WWYD?

Pennies Fri 25-Sep-09 17:08:41

change GP - take the GP job and continue with the police assessment.

hf128219 Fri 25-Sep-09 17:09:21

Take the job at the surgery. Then see how you get on at the Assessment Centre.

Flamesparrow Fri 25-Sep-09 17:09:42

Take the job at the Drs.

You could be hit by a bus in the next x months. You can't turn down one good job on the basis of possibly maybe having to quit at some point in the future.

Flamesparrow Fri 25-Sep-09 17:10:28

I think I would change GP anyway tbh. I'm not sure I want my employers knowing my medical whatnots.

EldonAve Fri 25-Sep-09 17:15:56

I would change GP

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 25-Sep-09 17:37:12

ive thought about changing GP - but fact is there are only 2 practices where i live - one is crap and the other is great - and im now at the great one! i say that cos i was with the other one for 12 years. id never go back to them - they missed my sons meningitus and failed to diagnose something that the new practice did in a matter of weeks. i love my gp's. i dont want to change so this really is a bugger...

Flamesparrow Fri 25-Sep-09 17:39:13

Oh, then def keep your GP and take the job. You can think too much to the future.

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 25-Sep-09 19:11:19

thats sort of what i figured but it feels a bit dishonest.
that said i may not get through the assessment centre anyway.
ill have to see.

ohnelly Fri 25-Sep-09 21:02:27

You have to do whats best for you not everyone else. I would take the job and then see what happens with the police, and as you say it could be up to 2 years anyway. Good luck! grin

pruneplus2 Sun 27-Sep-09 14:06:51

When do you start your new job? They cannot retract their offer of employment simply because you applied to the police force ages ago and have an upcoming assessment. That is surely a good case for unfair dismissal?

They CAN let you go after the probation period, but they have to have good reasons to - undergoing assessment for the police force whilst on probationary period with new employer is NOT a good reason.

I would speak honestly to the person who offered the job at the GP surgery and tell them that you applied for the police when in last job and will be sitting assesment with them in X amount of time - you may pass and have to resign at some point in the future or you may not pass and will continue employment at GP.

Forget feelings of employers and "letting them down" Do what is best for you and what YOU want. Above all, GOOD LUCK!

TheProvincialLady Sun 27-Sep-09 14:10:16

What do the police want you to do, pray for the criminals and then make them laugh?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now