Talk

Advanced search

DS 7 opened a emergency exit door on the coach!

(11 Posts)
Sixer Thu 17-Sep-09 22:18:53

Fortunately the coach wasn't moving. He was sent to the Head, and had to sit out of lunch time play. I have child locks on in my car. Children arn't allowed to sit next to Emergency exits on planes. This doesn't seem right to me that a 7 year old should be allowed to sit next to an emergency exit on a coach. I feel like I should say something to the school. It happened during a school trip. Any advice really appreciated.

Sixer Thu 17-Sep-09 22:23:24

maybe I should have put thiis in AIBU?

MrsMuddle Thu 17-Sep-09 23:15:21

I think at 7 he should know better than to open it. Presumably it had some sort of sign on it?

TBH, I don't think I'd say anything to the school, but I would be having words with my DS.

Sixer Fri 18-Sep-09 00:09:24

So Mrs muddle you have words with your DS, even though he missed a playtime as well! he can't see no wrong in what he did. He thought it was a window! he's not brilliant at reading, and it's not an obvious thing for him to do, reading signs on windows, he doesn't even like reading! So now, you have a 7 yo sitting on a coach, tearing down the road, the Teacher in charge hasn't moved the child, It is after all an Emergency Exit, he is now responsible for opening that door in an Emergency, It hasn't even been pointed out to him what that door is for....... So he decided to 'Open the window' (Emergency Exit) and falls out.....Who's fault would that be?

muggglewump Fri 18-Sep-09 00:26:06

Crikey, you don't want to hear your son is wrong do you?

I also think he is old enough to know better, and at 7, would have expected him not to touch the door/window on a bus, whether he could read or not.
I'd have expected a stern taking to from School, and I'd have backed it up with another talking, and a punishment.
It's dangerous.

Sixer Fri 18-Sep-09 00:38:22

So Mugglewump, he knows it's dangerous because......
a) he's not a great reader
b) The teacher in charge, pointed the fact out, (didn't)
c) He fell out the coach whilst trying to open the window! (thank heavens)
d) he's SEN, it's his own fault if he's not good at reading or writing (must be my fault)
e) it's not your DS/DD that made the mistake.
f) the telling off and punishment he had when he returned to school...... ruined him!

Sixer Fri 18-Sep-09 00:42:15

No, Your right! A Responsible Adult wasn't doing their job properly. My DS a 7 yo, is the last person I would depend on to open an Emergency Exit in a Coach Accident with 54 other people on board!

nappyaddict Fri 18-Sep-09 01:43:31

I don't think YABU. I think if they are going to sit children next to an emergency door they need telling that it's not a normal window and that they should not open it.

waitingforfanjo Fri 18-Sep-09 02:59:57

"Any advice really appreciated"

Well, it's obviously not, is it? Because you've gone into a right strop with the two people who dared to disagree with you.

What advice do you actually want to hear, then?

You didn't say in your OP that your son was SEN. And nobody said that was your fault. And how do you know for certain that a teacher didn't tell him that he mustn't open the door?

Personally I don't think a 7 year old with SEN should be sitting by the emergency exit but I think you are over-reacting that a telling -off has 'ruined him'.hmm

JennyPennyNAPPYWEB Fri 18-Sep-09 03:11:08

I do and don't agree with you. I think that really he should know that he shouldn't be openinging doors/windows on a coach in general without asking but do think the school have gone a bit OTT.

muggglewump Fri 18-Sep-09 10:30:14

Well you didn't mention the SEN bit, so I obviously wasn't responding to that information. hmm

Now you have revealed it, I don't think it's your fault. Why on earth would I ?

No, I don't think he should have been sitting there in that case, and it goes without saying that any child SEN or not should be told not to touch the door.

I don't think a telling off will ruin him though, perhaps make him more aware of it next time, you know to keep him safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now