Talk

Advanced search

Emergency lunch box run? Yes or no.

(20 Posts)
OrmIrian Wed 09-Sep-09 09:24:58

12yr old has forgotten their lunch box. If you are able, at some inconvenience, to delivery said lunch box to school, would you do so. Bearing in mind that child has no money so will be hungry all day apart from the charity of mates.

pros and cons of taking lunch box:

Pros: He won't be hungry. You won't feel guilty all day.

Cons: He won't learn an important lesson of which he is much in need. And he isn't going to starve in 6 hrs. You won't be late for work.

WWYD?

ScummyMummy Wed 09-Sep-09 09:27:35

If it's the 1st time he's forgotten it this term I'd take it in.

OrmIrian Wed 09-Sep-09 09:31:06

It is the first time he's forgotten this but not the first time he's forgotten other things.

JodieO Wed 09-Sep-09 09:32:09

I'd take it, without a doubt.

fishie Wed 09-Sep-09 09:32:58

he won't know he's going to get it until you arrive. so he'll learn the lesson all morning but still get fed.

VeeEsss Wed 09-Sep-09 09:33:14

Will he not get school lunch if he has forgotten it?

I'd take it in but tell him in no uncertain terms that I wouldn't next time.

KnickersandVests Wed 09-Sep-09 09:33:34

I think I'd take it in. The guilt would weigh too heavy for me.

Flamesparrow Wed 09-Sep-09 09:33:45

Aww, we're only a few days in. I'd take it.

(I am normally Very Harsh and say not to btw)

NoGoodNicknamesLeft Wed 09-Sep-09 09:34:14

i wouldn't. but then i'm mean.

OrmIrian Wed 09-Sep-09 09:34:59

Ah OK.

i didn't btw blush

Tis most unlike me. But I suppose I could sneak out and take it now....

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 09-Sep-09 09:36:28

I wouldn't have taken it either. 12 plenty old enough to

a) remember to make sure they've got everything they need

b) survive for 6hrs without food

grin

Stayingsunnygirl Wed 09-Sep-09 09:44:16

When ds1 started at secondary school, he went through a phase of forgetting all sorts of stuff and phoning me to run up to school with it. Eventually one of the office staff saw what was going on, and caught us outside the office to tell us that I wasn't allowed to come into school willy nilly in order to drop stuff off to him.

When ds1 had left, looking suitably chastened, she said, with a wink, that it wasn't that much of a problem for the school, but she'd said what she did so that ds1 would stop ringing me, as she was sure I would prefer not to be running up to the school every day!

I'd take the lunchbox in today, but let him know that the next thing he forgets, he will have to do without, even if it is something essential like a book or a piece of homework.

Pyrocanthus Wed 09-Sep-09 10:12:49

I'm really going to try very, very hard never to take anything in for DD2 who started year 7 today, but am relieved that as long as there's money in her account, she'll be able to eat if she hasn't mislaid her thumbprint.

Cadelaide Wed 09-Sep-09 10:15:49

Account? Thumbprint?

Blimey.

DS starts secondary school next year, looks like we're going to have a lot to learn.

Flamesparrow Wed 09-Sep-09 10:18:01

shock @ Pyro's school!!!

OrmIrian Wed 09-Sep-09 10:40:17

Well I gave in. My colleague (who is Victorian parent incarnate) told me he'd have taken it in as lunch was important. And combined with the majority op of MN I took this as a hint. I told my boss who guffawed at my lack of spine, and drove the box to school. There will be words though...

cadelaide - where is DS going? (if you don't mind me being nosey) Have you decided yet? DD is going to RBSC with DS#1 (although she isn't 100% happy as all her mates are going elsewhere).

Pyrocanthus Wed 09-Sep-09 10:51:21

Yup, DD2 at primary says whether she wants school lunch at registration and the money is taken from her account; DD1 (apparently, I gave her a bit of cash just in case my inner Luddite is right) will just have to turn up at the canteen with her hand (they took the prints on induction day). Am assured that they'll not be added to the police database, but do wonder a bit about the hygiene of it...

bunjies Wed 09-Sep-09 11:24:16

If it was my child I would have rung the school and asked that they be given a school lunch then paid for it the next day. I'm sure this sort of thing happens all the time.

Cadelaide Wed 09-Sep-09 13:22:40

Hi Orm, we're a bit north so he'll go to KA in the next town, iyswim.

I'm beginning to realise I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing. I just know the year will fly by and I cannot imagine waving him off at the door and leaving him to get on with it. The problem lies with me though, he's fine!

Funnily enough, I did a water-bottle-run to the primary school at break time this morning. I do understand I need to toughen up grin

OrmIrian Wed 09-Sep-09 13:28:37

Ah I see. Don't know much about KA. It freaked me out a bit when we were planning for the transfer, but in the end it was great. DS#1 is much happier (not much more responsible though hmm)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now