Talk

Advanced search

DD does not want to go back to pony riding, after a fall.

(10 Posts)
MmeLindt Fri 04-Sep-09 12:48:08

WWYD?

She fell off a couple of weeks ago, banged her head and gave herself a real fright. She had a slight concussion but no serious injuries. After the fall, she got back on the horse but was not happy.

Since then she has not been (because of school hols) and now says that she does not want to go back.

Should I force her to go, even though she is quite upset in the hope that once she gets there she will enjoy herself?

hayes Fri 04-Sep-09 12:50:22

if it was my dd I wouldn't force her to go back to be honest

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 04-Sep-09 12:50:45

Does she normally do group lessons? Is it her first fall?

Perhaps a half hour private on a quiet pony where she knows all that she will have to do is walk round quietly til she feels better. I really think it is worth making her try again.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 04-Sep-09 12:51:50

The thing is, the first fall is scary but it happens. First fall off a bike is scary too.

MmeLindt Fri 04-Sep-09 12:57:10

This is what I am struggling with, the saying it is ok just to give up. It was her first big fall, she has slipped off before but they were trotting and she was not being held.

On the otherside, she was crying this morning when I was talking to her.

It is group lessons, yes.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 04-Sep-09 13:01:40

ok, I reckon a private walk might help - perhaps on a lead rein?
dd has fallen off several times now so we've all gotten used to it.

saintlydamemrsturnip Fri 04-Sep-09 13:04:48

Hmm it can be quite scary falling off. I was talking to my instructor yesterday about falling off and fear and riding.

I think one problem with fear when riding is that it makes you seize up and not sit well so you're more likely to then feel unbalanced I guess.

I would talk to the instructor. Could she be kept on a lead rein for a while, especially for trotting until she is confident? If she is really scared then I wouldn't push it because you can never enjoy riding if you are terrified and it becomes some sort of torture rather than something enjoyable! But it might be worth seeing if she can regain her confidence via lead rein activities if she was keen before this incident.

I fell off for the first time in 16 years a few weeks ago and didn't hurt myself at all. It was quite a big thing for me because last time I fell I did hurt myself and I have been slightly nervous always about falling again. Falling and not hurting myself has shown me it's fine iyswim. I do remember falling off quite a lot as a child though - so it can be part of learning to iyswim. I sympathise!

saintlydamemrsturnip Fri 04-Sep-09 13:05:43

learning to ride - I should preview.

MmeLindt Fri 04-Sep-09 13:41:30

This is one of the things that I am unsure of, how the teacher will react. I suspect she is more of the "Don't be silly, up you go" types, than being empathatic and taking the time with DD.

I might take her over and see how she is.

<undecided emoticon>

MmeLindt Tue 15-Sep-09 09:42:18

Update

We went last week and after some persuasion DD said that she would go on the pony. The children were waiting for the teacher to help them on to the ponies when DD's bloody pony bit her. It was just a nip but she was really upset.

Of all the days for the pony to bite her!

She eventually agreed to go on the pony, but only stayed on for about 5 mins. She is adamant that she does not want to go back.

I am going to cancel the pony riding. I am very proud that she was so brave and went back on, even for a few minutes but she is not happy so we are going to leave it for now.

It is such a shame as they have a new French/British teacher who was just lovely, we both really liked her.

Thanks for all your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now