Talk

Advanced search

If you knew that people at your ante natal class were doing drugs?

(18 Posts)
ErikaMaye Thu 03-Sep-09 15:36:59

I overheard two couples, who were obviously friends, talking outside my ante natal class last week - they had all gone out for a tobacco break, but that's another issue angry I'd gone to get some paracetamol from DP - talking about how drunk they were planning on getting that night, and where they were going to get their "crack" from, and that X was bringing the "weed". I know their care has just been transfered to my midwife, as she arranged it in the latter half of the session.

Should I keep my nose out, or mention it to my midwife casually when I next see her? I feel guilty knowing and not saying anything, simply on the issue of their unborn baby's safety, but at the same time know logically it really isn't my place.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Thu 03-Sep-09 15:40:49

even if the midwife told them to stop taking drugs they wouldn't listen would they. There cant be anyone left on the planet that doesn't know drugs are not a good thing in pregnancy sad
Horrible.

GreensleevesFlouncedLikeAKnob Thu 03-Sep-09 15:41:53

if it was weed I wouldn't say anything to anyone

if crack I might mention it to the midwife running the thing

wilkos Thu 03-Sep-09 15:47:35

tell the midwife

as riven has said it may not make any difference to their drug taking in pregnancy but when baby is born at least it will be on record that drug taking (and the chaos it invariably ensues) is happening around this child

ErikaMaye Thu 03-Sep-09 15:52:24

Well that's the other thing - surely the baby will need extra monitoring after he / she is born if this is what the mother is doing?

TheDMshouldbeRivened Thu 03-Sep-09 15:58:36

why would people do that to their babies? sad

ErikaMaye Thu 03-Sep-09 16:01:39

I don't know, it makes me so very sad and angry. Also because its a teen class, it makes me even more so - not like we get enough bad press as it is!!! Of course that's a minor issue in comparison, but still... Maybe I'll find a way to word it into conversation. She's coming to see me tomorrow anyway.

weegiemum Thu 03-Sep-09 16:06:14

I was on some very strong (prescribed) painkillers during pregnancy with dd2, due to a pregnancy related kidney condition.

I had to have her in a big hospital etc as our local district general didn't have SCBU and they were worried about withdrawal once she was born.

And I was closely monitored during labour for signs of her getting distressed and they were ready to give antidotes etc.

And this was with a known condition, medicines were being monitored by the doctor etc (I was told, interestingly, better for me to take the painkillers as me in pain would = more stressed baby!)

I would say. If not for just the drugs, for the drink as well, as it causes specific problems too!

MW might also be able to alert SS if there is chance of a child being at risk in a chaotic household. This does sometimes happen prenatally.

weegiemum Thu 03-Sep-09 16:07:08

dd2 was fine, btw, no withdrawal or anything!

spicemonster Thu 03-Sep-09 16:08:25

Couples who are crackheads go to antenatal classes? hmm

ErikaMaye Thu 03-Sep-09 16:10:53

Weegiemum I'm sorry to hear about your kidney condition, but glad everything worked out okay

Spicemonster they'd been dragged there by his mother..!

weegiemum Thu 03-Sep-09 16:13:13

thanks Erika. Its not a problem any more- only when I'm up the duff! I was just using it as an example of how careful they were with medicalised drug use!

ErikaMaye Thu 03-Sep-09 16:18:39

Yes... I'm on ADs, and know how much of an eye they're preparing to keep on me and baby after the birth.

weegiemum Thu 03-Sep-09 16:20:41

I was (an am!) on them too!

ErikaMaye Fri 04-Sep-09 13:02:49

I mentioned it to her, feel a lot better for getting it off my chest!!! Said she'd actually already had it mentioned to her by someone else, so wasn't just me who was worried * phew * She was really nice about it, thankfully.

lal123 Fri 04-Sep-09 13:23:33

re "who would do this to their kids?" - answer - a hell of a lot of people in the real world unfortunately

ErikaMaye Fri 04-Sep-09 21:23:18

Its a very sad world we live in, sometimes...

crankytwanky Tue 08-Sep-09 22:00:19

It's suprisingly common. It makes me so so cross how selfish some people are. The worst thing is these women get knocked up accidently, despite their bodies being ravaged by drugs, whilst people are spending their life savings on IVF, desperate for a baby.

Sorry, ranty hijack. blush

You did the right thing mentioning it, I reckon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now