Talk

Advanced search

Taxi journey with no car sear and 16 month old?

(8 Posts)
Besom Thu 03-Sep-09 12:47:22

We are going on holiday shortly and part of the journey involves a taxi ride. I had naively assumed I would be able to book one with a car seat but it seems they have booster seats but not baby seats. I have phoned many firms in the area and I keep being told there are different sizes of baby and they are in a legal minefield if they bring the wrong one. Also they keep saying 'it isn't a legal requirement for an under 3 in a taxi'. Yes, I know.

So now I'm faced with part of me thinking it'll be OK, and part of me freaking out. We wouldn't be able to manage to take a car seat with us.

WWYD?

giantkatestacks Thu 03-Sep-09 12:50:34

Yes minicab firms never have them - you can try to get a black cab (in this country obv) and then wheel the buggy on and put the brakes on or take your chances in a cab without a seat - its very annoying - we are going to have the same problem next Easter as well.

FourArms Thu 03-Sep-09 12:58:58

Our VW Sharan has built in child seats in two of the seats (suitable once they're out of the first baby seat at 9m ish). Could you try and hire a taxi with these? They're usually companies that do airport taxis and stuff as it's a 7 seater car.

Another option, may not work depending on your journey, is to take your own car seats in the taxi. Our taxi company then kept the car seats whilst we were on holiday, and the car that picked us up from the airport got the seats from the taxi office before collecting us.

Besom Thu 03-Sep-09 13:15:49

Thanks for responses. None of the ones I have phoned have been very helpful. I don't think any of them have got young children! I will see about a black cab if that's possible or the Sharan. The other thing I thought was to put seat belt on me then her in sling. Do you think that would work?

giantkatestacks Thu 03-Sep-09 14:50:12

We did that with the sling and the seatbelt on holiday in a minivan - it works but wouldnt be safe in any way in a crash...

Good idea about the cab company keeping the seats FourArms but we are usually getting the train then a cab so still cant cart the seat onto the train iyswim - maybe the OP is the same?

Besom Thu 03-Sep-09 15:06:31

I was just thinking about it giantkatestacks and since the sling isn't designed for the purpose it could well be more dangerous to do that for all I know.

I've looked at the specifications of her baby carrier/car seat and she will just about still fit it so I might have to end up taking that (although she won't be happy!).

nappyaddict Mon 21-Sep-09 15:31:23

I'm not sure but i think if you get a black cab you can secure the 4 wheels of the pushchair to the floor with the wheelchair straps? Someone else on here might be able to confirm that?

GrumpyYoungFogey Fri 30-Oct-09 22:18:39

Sit with him/her on your lap? Or am I missing something here?

What would you mother have done in 198-something? And you are still here right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now