Talk

Advanced search

I want to know what is the "norm" for how much to spend on wedding gifts...or money

(14 Posts)
flier Wed 02-Sep-09 19:53:42

Is DHs work colleague and we have been invited the the evening reception. He doesn't know the colleague that well, and we haven't been to many weddings recently.
Think we probably have to give gift vouchers or money and don't want to appear stingy.

flier Wed 02-Sep-09 20:01:54

bump

HumphreyCobbler Wed 02-Sep-09 20:03:59

Give what you want to give, no one would think someone was stingy over a wedding gift surely?

luvaduck Wed 02-Sep-09 20:04:06

difficult
evening reception - about 30 quid esp if don't know well
we spend between 50 and 100 if going to whole thing and depends how good the friend is

LittleMissBliss Wed 02-Sep-09 20:04:48

I think if you are only invited to evening do you aren't expected to bring a gift, i think a nice card would do congratulating them on their day...?

But then i haven't been to allot of weddings.

The ones that i have been invited to the service i have chosen a gift as i am close to the people getting married. If its just the eveing do i just do the card thing.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 02-Sep-09 20:05:15

Or buy them a nice bottle of wine/whiskey, that is fine if you don't know them well.

LittleMissBliss Wed 02-Sep-09 20:06:04

*evening

flier Wed 02-Sep-09 20:06:54

Thanks everyone. I'd rather keep to £30 but thought it may seem stingy and "should" give £50, but will go with my original thought.

flier Wed 02-Sep-09 20:07:36

We can't not give a gift.

bitofadramaqueen Wed 02-Sep-09 20:08:25

I've been to a lot of weddings in last couple of years and would spend around 30 quid on a present for evening do. You shouldn't feel you have to give money or vouchers though. If there's no list buy a present or a nice bottle of champagne (unless ofcourse they don't drink)

LittleMissBliss Wed 02-Sep-09 20:09:25

Why not how well do you know them?

I would be shocked if people that i had invited to my wedding that weren't close family or friends gave me £50!

People spend so much on weddings as it is, with outfits, sitters, transport etc.

rubyslippers Wed 02-Sep-09 20:10:32

i don't spend £30 on an evening only invite

i do give a card and a decent bottle of wine or fizz (£15 - £20 max)

a couple of mini bottles of moet would be nice i think (about £8 quid each)

LittleMissBliss Wed 02-Sep-09 20:11:15

To be honest i guess it depends how much you have to spend. If you are happy to part with £50 then do that.smile

flier Wed 02-Sep-09 20:16:39

reason for not giving gift is they are emigrating. 2nd marriage too (could even be third).
I do like the idea of a nice gift bag with mini bottles of moet though smile

thanks mumsnet peeps grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now