Talk

Advanced search

WWYD if you had given an apparently nut-allergic child a nutty cereal and they had no reaction?

(6 Posts)
MadreInglese Tue 01-Sep-09 15:26:30

A friend was telling me the other day how she had her neighbour's child to stay over, I think 3 or 4 yo. Her neighbour is severley allergic to nuts and so they thought their child was too. My friend's husband forgot (!) and gave the neighbour's child some nutty cereal. The child had no reaction and now my friend is wondering whether or not she should tell the neighbour what happened.

WWYD?

(I thoroughly understand the seriousness of nut allergies - as does my friend - before you all jump on me, just wondering what others would do as I didn't know what to advise her)

randomtask Tue 01-Sep-09 15:38:31

I'd 'confess all' to the neighbour so that she knows her child is fine (although if the neighbour was scary I might not...).

My nieces are dairy and wheat intolerant and BIL had a daft moment and put normal milk in their mash. My eldest niece had slight tummy ache but no worse, youngest was as bad as ever. He did get a telling off but my sister was also very happy as it meant things are improving!

AMumInScotland Tue 01-Sep-09 16:05:51

I think she has to 'fess up - hopefully the neighbour will then feel able to relax a little, as I'm sure she must be terrified a lot of the time thinking her DC has a serious allergy. (Though I don't know why she would just assume her DC was allergic to the same thing she is - it doesn't work that way, though being more susceptible to allergies in general does get passed on I think)

MadreInglese Tue 01-Sep-09 16:09:03

Well I was swaying towards fess up but she was leaning the other way

SpawnChorus Tue 01-Sep-09 16:11:53

Agree with the others...she should fess up and apologise profusely (because really the consequences could have been awful), but untimately the neighbour will probably be very glad!

reikizen Tue 01-Sep-09 16:14:03

Fess up because ultimately what parent would not be pleased that their child did not have a potentially life threatening allergy!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now