Talk

Advanced search

Sinister or just a bit creepy

(50 Posts)
fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 27-Aug-09 20:45:39

Was sitting in shopping centre today while DD was asleep in buggy, reading emails on my phone. I suddenly got a request on phone to accept a bluetooth message from someone.

i said no, and when I looked up a really creepy looking guy was staring at me and on his phone.

Not exaggerating but he looked like Peter Tobin, he had that hollow cheeked staring eye sinister look.

He then came and sat just behind me. I then kept getting this request to accept a bluetooth message. I then accidentally accepted it and it was a business card with his mobile number.

I felt SERIOUSLY uncomfortable then and left, with him staring. I then was worried he was following me all afternoon and that he would even follow me home.

DH says I should consider reporting him to the police but I am not sure.

WWYD?

harleyd Thu 27-Aug-09 20:48:10

i would delete it and forget about it

not sure exactly what you would report him for

MissisBoot Thu 27-Aug-09 20:48:36

I'd report it to the police - they may have already had reports of him doing it so will be able to build up a profile.

courtneylovescox Thu 27-Aug-09 20:48:53

you did accept it as well, is that what bluetooth does then?

LadyStealthPolarBear Thu 27-Aug-09 20:49:20

sounds like he was flirting in his own interesting style!
Unless you think he did follow you, I'd forget it.

Fruitysunshine Thu 27-Aug-09 20:49:27

Modern technology! I would forget about it.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 27-Aug-09 20:50:04

Ring local station for advice, writing down everything down first so you don't forget anything.

Keep a record of his name and number too so you can reject him if he calls again.

SolidGoldBrass Thu 27-Aug-09 20:50:04

I think reporting to the police a bit excessive. Given that all he did was attempt to make contact with you - he didn't grab you or say anything unpleasant, even the message he sent was only giving you his number rather than anything threatening or suggestive. OK so he was unattractive to you and the approach pretty inept, but that doesn't make him dangerous.

RoseBlossoms Thu 27-Aug-09 20:50:53

I would turn the blue tooth off!

sausagetits Thu 27-Aug-09 20:51:47

what sgb said

thisisyesterday Thu 27-Aug-09 20:52:55

lol i wouldn't call the police.
it's called bluejacking or perhaps in your case a bit of toothing

he wasn't being very incognito about it though.
i have to admit that in our younger/stupider days dp and i used to walk through shopping centres sending stupid messages like "catch the otter" to people via bluetooth just for a laugh.

BooBooChicken Thu 27-Aug-09 20:52:58

if you were single and he was gorgeous looking (and not creepy) would you have been flattered or still unsettled?

i can't decide if i would or not!

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 27-Aug-09 20:53:19

Yes, I thought it was a bit excessive, which is why I posted on here. I DID feel threatened though, seriously.

I did accept it by mistake, he kept sending it and I hit the wrong button, I was actually upset at the time about something else so wasn't thinking straight.

FabBakerGirl - fortunately he can't call me as he doesn't have my number, he just saw me on my phone and did a Bluetooth search for my phone, which he transferred his number to.

I know I seem overreacting, and I am not usually like that, would usually be flattered in fact but he made me feel VERY uncomfortable.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 27-Aug-09 20:54:07

Bluetooth is off. It really wasn't because he was unattractive, he was just very creepy looking and was really staring.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 27-Aug-09 20:54:50

and came and sat right behind me, staring.

LadyStealthPolarBear Thu 27-Aug-09 20:55:27

Oh I believe he was creepy. Suppose it's the same principle as if he tried to chat you up and was didn't take no for an answer the first time - despite his creepiness you probably still wouldn't report him?
Difficult to say without being there, but based on the facts you've told us there's nothing to report him for iyswim

Thingiebob Thu 27-Aug-09 20:55:45

I'm inclined to wonder the same as Booboo - if he was gorgeous, would you be talking about reporting him to the police?

It was a come-one. You ignored it. It wasn't as if he did anything illegal or particularly harrasing?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 27-Aug-09 20:55:55

Anyway thanks for all the advice, and for being pretty gentle with me, I had some pretty horrible news today so am a bit delicate. It's maybe clouding my judgement but I don't think so, something was not right there.

harleyd Thu 27-Aug-09 20:56:00

ive had some quite funny stuff sent to me by random bluetoothing

traceybath Thu 27-Aug-09 20:56:14

Could you perhaps call the shopping centre and speak to someone in their security team.

Say you know it wasn't illegal but you felt threatened and they should keep an eye out. They may have had similar reports.

Horrid for you though.

MissisBoot Thu 27-Aug-09 20:56:51

Although he didn't commit a crime it still might be worth reporting just in case there is any intelligence on him or reports of people doing something similar - you never know it could be part of a bigger picture.

People call in with all sorts of things. You say you did feel threatened though and imo people shouldn't feel threatened when they're out and about minding their own business.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 27-Aug-09 20:57:04

It is a tad insulting to claim I wouldn't report him if he was gorgeous, I am not THAT shallow thanks. If a "girgeous" guy had been staring at me in a threatening manner I still would have felt uncomfortable.

And it was DH who suggested reporting him.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 27-Aug-09 20:57:28

"girgeous"="gorgeous"

whomovedmychocolate Thu 27-Aug-09 20:58:11

Why are you broadcasting your BT anyway, turn cloaking on. I never turn my cloaking off unless I am actually beaming stuff to my laptop. He was probably very ineptly flirting with you.

Whether or not that's because he wanted your skin to make a handbag is another matter. [shudder] shock

Suggest you forward his details to someone else who will keep them safely just in case.

LadyStealthPolarBear Thu 27-Aug-09 20:58:23

Sorry to hear that Fanjo
I do believe you that he was creepy, I just don't think there's anything you can report him for based on what you've said. Unfortunately none of that is illegal or even comes close to stalking. Doesn't make it amy more pleasant for you though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now