Talk

Advanced search

If you discovered that your digital monitor reached as far as the shops opposite your house?

(9 Posts)
pissyknickers Fri 21-Aug-09 12:54:50

I know this is a contentious issue, but would you leave your 7 month old baby asleep in her cot and pop over the road to buy a paper/coffee?

It never occured to me before but we were away at friends for the weekend and they had a house on lots of levels and she was sleeping in the basement and we were on the top level in the garden and we could see and hear her which was great. I remember the monitor said it haid a 30(it's a safety 1st little portable with a screen, otherwise yes i'd look very silly with one of the TV style ones!). So i thought i'd take the monitor outside while i had a friend here and test it. I live opposite a row of shops. Turns out it works in the newsagent and the 7-11 but only not quite up to the counter of the coffee shop.

Would you do it? I'm thinking in theory it's not really different to being out in the garden doing some weeding or in the basement of our house sorting out some filin while she's asleep in terms of distance, or is it? We have a smoke alarm fitted which the monitor would pick up and the front door would be shut and i could take a key so no-one could get in.

Can you think of any other issues? Do any of you ever leave a child of any age in the house asleep or awake and pop out, to a neighbours, to the bottom of the garden to a shop etc either with or without a monitor. Not saying i'm planning to do any of the above but interested to see what people think and what other people do (if they'd admit it!).

Oh and before you ask normally i take her with me or wait until someone is here before i go - just thinking how nice it is to sit down with coffee and a paper while she's asleep.

Sheeta Fri 21-Aug-09 12:58:58

get your paper before she goes to sleep.

Seriously - you're asking if it's OK to leave a 7mo baby alone in the house?

shonaspurtle Fri 21-Aug-09 12:59:06

I believe the standard response on these threads is along the lines of you being hit by a car.

doggiesayswoof Fri 21-Aug-09 13:04:08

Agree shonaspurtle

OP I would do this but maybe not with a 7mo.
I go out into the garden (without a monitor) when mine are asleep - I have to or else the puppy would crap in the kitchen.

Across road to shops for 2 mins is no different and you could be back v quickly.

Youngest is 15mo.

pissyknickers Fri 21-Aug-09 13:21:24

Of course i can get the paper before her sleep (although timing a hot latte proves a little more difficult) and will probably continue to do so.

Hadn't thought about the car issue actually, but then i take a shower when she's awake or asleep in her cot and suppose i could slip over and knock myself out.

I knew that the standard response would be no, but was interested in opinion and what people really do day to day to manage life with a little one, given you can't be literally glued to them 24 hrs a day and get anything done.

samja Fri 21-Aug-09 13:28:15

I thought you were going to say you needed to go to the shop for dinner or nappies. FGS a paper and a latte are not really that important are they?

If you are up on the concept of "being literally glued to them for 24 hours a day and getting anything done", I'd get used to it soon.

You can get things done but it takes a bit of forethought.

samja Fri 21-Aug-09 13:33:03

If you are not up on the concept....

pissyknickers Fri 21-Aug-09 13:43:40

of course it's not that important, it's just nice little luxury occasionally.

Of course i'm up on the concept i've been glued to my gorgeous little girl for the last 7 months and am absolutely fine with it . I just find it difficult to get anything done when she's awake as she's crawling like a demon and just learnt to pull herself up to standing - no different from everyone else i imagine.

bratley Mon 24-Aug-09 13:30:09

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk.
We live 300miles away from family and DH works away a lot, so its quite often just DS and me, I'd kill for a day off every now and then but there's no way I could leave him in the house on his own while I had a 'little luxury' across the road.
I wouldn't even nip over to the woman across the road from us, at the end of our close, that hardly has a car go along it during the day, without DS!

Each to their own though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now