Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

if your child received clothing as a present that you LOATHED but they LOVED...

(23 Posts)
stepaway Fri 21-Aug-09 11:46:54

would you let them wear it and grit your teeth?

or...

let them wear it a few times and then let it 'accidentally' get lost!

TrinityRhino Fri 21-Aug-09 11:48:25

depends how badly or the reasons for loathing

if I dont like the pattern or colour then I would just let them get on with it

if it was too short, tarty, revealing (or with shoes high heels) then they wouldn't even get a chance to wear it

Depends what it was.....

Most clothing gifts that I don't like go straight on to e-bay.

jeminthepantry Fri 21-Aug-09 11:51:02

yeah depends what it was.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Fri 21-Aug-09 11:51:08

Depends what it is generally I grit my teeth and let them wear it i'm all for letting them find their own style.
If it wasn't appropriate for age I wouldn't let them but if it was just becuase I didn't like it I wouldn't care too much.

jeminthepantry Fri 21-Aug-09 11:51:47

Depends why you didn't like it really....

LadyPinkofPinkerton Fri 21-Aug-09 11:52:40

Well my DB bought my 5 yo Ds a sweatshirt that I loathed cos it was very skater boy. DB knew I wouldn't like it but knew his DN would so bought it anyway. Grit my teeth, he wears it.

If however as the others are saying it is entirely inappropriate clothing then no chance they would wear it.

NorksNappiesAndNowtElse Fri 21-Aug-09 11:54:12

I vary. As a general rule grit teeth. Thankfully not had to deal with slogan tops yet though!

stepaway Fri 21-Aug-09 11:55:00

ok, it has 'hunting' motifs on it (it was bought in the US). ie deer, rifles, jeeps.

colour: red, khaki and black!

so, in my eyes, it is a hideous colour combo AND in bad taste!

but in the eyes of my DS it is a fantastic shirt.

is it shallow of me to wonder what the other parents are thinking about me when i allow him to wear it to nursery?!! what if they think i chose it?! grin

bumpybecky Fri 21-Aug-09 12:02:17

I'd let them wear it when doing evry very messy play, mud and paint. Then unfortunately it would eb too mucky to wash

or could it be used as sleepwear? that way no one outside the house needs to see it!

NumptyMum Fri 21-Aug-09 12:05:56

other parents probably wouldn't pay attention, they'll probably be scooting about after their own DCs.

just let him wear it and then stuff it in the bottom of the clothing drawer so that it's not the first choice!

DebsCee Fri 21-Aug-09 12:10:14

Depends on the age of DS. There's no way my 5 year old DS1 would forgive me for throwing it away but he could be persuaded to only wear it at certain times wink. If it was for DS2 who is 2.7 I would probably put it in a charity bag if i had that much dislike for it.

MmeLindt Fri 21-Aug-09 12:14:07

If it were one of those hideous tshirts "Hung like a 5yo" or "They Shake Me" (no Joke, just googled for bad taste tshirts as I could not remember any) shock then it would go straight in the bin and I would tell the person who gave my DC the tshirt why.

The tshirt you describe would not bother me that much. I might hide it at the bottom of the washing basket for a long time between wears.

stepaway Fri 21-Aug-09 12:22:03

Mme Lindt, the infrequent washing has been approach so far!

NumptyMum, stuffing it at the bottom of his clean clothes pile sadly doesn't work as he actively seeks it out... I'd like to think other parents weren't taking note of what shirts the other kids are wearing BUT going on the number of threads you see on here about trivial stuff, I'm pretty confident some mum will be noticing!!!

bumpybecky, that's inspired but i suspect DS wouldn't risk ruining the shirt by wearing it for messy play...

thanks everyone. i know this is a trivial, non-thread but i will curious about what everyone else does.

stepaway Fri 21-Aug-09 12:23:06

sorry, that should have been WAS curious about what everyone else does. blush

MamaGottaMakeADecision Fri 21-Aug-09 12:25:03

Agree with trinity

i bought DS1 a "ben 10" cap yesterday. I hate it but he was SO delighted with it

OtterInaSkoda Fri 21-Aug-09 12:27:22

I think it sounds pretty cool - really! I also think that it is an important part of any aunt/uncle's job description to purchase gifts for their dns that their parents disapprove of. wink

YANBU but you're being shallow - like all of us wink

Let him wear it for mucking about in. It won't last long that way.

ninah Fri 21-Aug-09 12:27:26

let him wear it fgs, it's only clothes! don't you remember the feeling of wearing something you absolutely loved, appropriate or not, as a child?

cazzybabs Fri 21-Aug-09 12:35:23

the second... I am evil and dh dislikes this (especially if it is things his parents buy..however he quickly forgets)

stepaway Fri 21-Aug-09 12:44:02

I think part of the reason I object is that well over 90% of my children's clothes are gifts. So, while I'm grateful that our families are very generous and buy things for them, there is a (VERY shallow!) part of me that thinks it would be nice JUST OCCASIONALLY to have the kids dressed in something that I have chosen! (I like very different stuff from what they are given as gifts but I am a bit puritanical and can't justify going out to buy them extra clothes when they have plenty already.)

Especially since as they get older, then clearly they will wear what they want, rather than what I like.

NorbertDentressangle Fri 21-Aug-09 12:49:05

I find the ironing basket is a handy place to hide things that the DC love but you're not keen on then you can just say "I've not ironed it yet" if they ask.

Providing an item isn't offensive, tarty or vile beyond belief I would just subtly limit where and when its worn if the DC loved it.

pinkthechaffinch Sat 22-Aug-09 08:13:38

great name btw, norbert, every time I see one of those lorries near Dover, I get that holiday feeling! smile

seeker Sat 22-Aug-09 08:20:07

If not offensive or tarty then let them wear it.

I didn't let my dd wear the t shirt my db and sil gave her for her 10 birthday that said "I love shoes, shopping, chocolate and men...so long as they are rich" but fortunately she didn't want to wear it either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now