Talk

Advanced search

3 hours in a car or 5 hours by train with 2 changes?

(9 Posts)
Hassled Sun 16-Aug-09 21:33:46

Am (bizarrely) taking DS2 & DS3 (11 and 7) to ex-FIL's funeral - not their grandfather but we're going to support DS1, DD and ex-DH, plus I was very fond of ex-FIL. I don't drive (as in, I've never learnt - assorted reasons). DS1 and DD will already be at their grandparents' house.

Ex-DH's fiancee has offered to give us a lift, but we won't arrive until about 8.30p.m the night before. Then we'll have to eat etc. Boys will be knackered and ratty and while I like the fiancee I don't know her very well and 3 hours is a long time. There may well be awkwardness.

OR we could go by train, get there at a much more reasonable time, have something to eat and be settled in our luxury Travelodge at normal bed time. But it's 5 hours, 2 changes.

This sounds so trivial now I've written it down but still, what do you think?

Fimbo Sun 16-Aug-09 21:37:01

Before I opened the thread I would have said car, but now have read your op I would say train.

BikeRunSki Sun 16-Aug-09 21:37:17

Train. Sounds like 3 hrs in a car with someone you don't really know and late night would be a bit much. Especially with funeral the next day. Train will be more relaxed.

hollytom Sun 16-Aug-09 21:38:57

As your kids are a bit older they will probably be OK on the train won't they? Personally I like travelling by car as I can put our portable DVD player on and don't hear a peep. Could you borrow one off somebody? I think you know your kids best, I wouldn't do the train witrh mine but they are 8 and 6 but yours may be different?

BikeRunSki Sun 16-Aug-09 21:39:35

And it is not that bizzarre. My mum (Dad's 2nd wife) went to my dad's first wife's funeral. And she (first wife) died many years after Dad. Mum went to support my half brothers/her step sons/Dad's sons - who she had bought uo since they were 3 and 5.

VinoEsmeralda Sun 16-Aug-09 21:39:54

Agree with Fimbo,also your DC are older so probably would enjoy the train journey more I'd say

danthe4th Sun 16-Aug-09 21:40:26

Theyre 11 and 7 why not ask them as well, I would probably drive as 8.30 not that late, get set up with a dvd player and earphones and thats 2 hours nearly sorted, worth a tenner on a new dvd.

FuckOffDailyMail Sun 16-Aug-09 21:45:23

what Fimbo said

Hassled Sun 16-Aug-09 21:46:04

Thank you - and thanks for not thinking it's too bizarre! Ex-MIL is being very sweet about it all.

I will talk to the DSs tomorrow and see how they'll feel but I think I'm going for the train option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now