Talk

Advanced search

If you saw this a man holding a 7-8 month old baby like this?

(54 Posts)
JustcallmeDog Sat 15-Aug-09 19:15:10

Message withdrawn

mrsjammi Sat 15-Aug-09 19:17:03

Message withdrawn

Jaquelinehyde Sat 15-Aug-09 19:18:02

I think you're over reacting to be honest.

I've seen this kind of thing done a lot, mainly by my elder brothers.

It's certainly nothing to be worrying yourself over, and to consider saying something is just silly.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sat 15-Aug-09 19:18:11

Wow, that must have been a very compliant/immobile baby. And he must have had massive hands to do that - cause I couldn't do that with my not-quite 6 month old!

I wouldn't have said anything, but I wouldn't have watched/laughed either. In fact, I probably would have done exactly what you did! blush

JustcallmeDog Sat 15-Aug-09 19:22:39

Message withdrawn

nooka Sat 15-Aug-09 19:26:00

It's totally dependent on the size of the baby and the size of the person's hand (and the strength of their arm as it's quite a tiring position). It's not unsafe though because you can feel the balance quite acutely and adjust for movement quite easily (and very easy to bring the baby into your body if you are concerned). I'd only worry if there was jostling going on. I would wonder if the man in question worked out though if it was for a long time (but that's possibly just because dh was a bodybuilder for a while and I quite like muscles grin).

mrsjammi Sat 15-Aug-09 19:26:10

Message withdrawn

dittany Sat 15-Aug-09 19:27:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AitchTwoOh Sat 15-Aug-09 19:28:08

i could do that with my dd until quite recently. they don't have far to fall onto your chest, but you don't drop them anyway, they're prefectly stable. so i'd have done nothing at all, in answer to the OP.

Jaquelinehyde Sat 15-Aug-09 19:29:08

This really is a very common thing (especially for men). It tends to be done by people who have extremely safe hands, something my 3 older brothers and I are blessed with.

My Mum who is a real butter fingers always hated it when we held our 3 younger sibling like this because she knows she would have dropped them, but that just added to the fun seeing her face.

It's something that has continued with all 8 of her Grandchildren, it starts early and then continues through until they are too heavy to lift up. My 2,3 & 4 year olds love it, as does my 10 month old neice.

This seriously is nothing to get in a tiz about and is no reflection on the person doing it.

Greensleeves Sat 15-Aug-09 19:29:57

What's the bloody point of it though? Why take a needless risk just so you can show off?

Beggars belief. I wouldn't have been able to watch.

mrsjammi Sat 15-Aug-09 19:30:26

Message withdrawn

Jaquelinehyde Sat 15-Aug-09 19:30:58

Dittany get a grip, bloody social services!!

JustcallmeDog Sat 15-Aug-09 19:31:08

Message withdrawn

mrsjammi Sat 15-Aug-09 19:31:47

Message withdrawn

dittany Sat 15-Aug-09 19:32:04

Greensleeves Sat 15-Aug-09 19:32:52

but what's it for?

of course it's riskier for a baby to be held up in the air by one hand than to be held conventionally.

TheDailyMailHatesWomenAndLemon Sat 15-Aug-09 19:33:25

Why would a woman with a 7 or 8 month old be on a maternity ward?

dittany Sat 15-Aug-09 19:34:55

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sat 15-Aug-09 19:35:35

LOL @ dittany. If it was a woman and if she was on a maternity ward then someone would have phoned SS?

grin

Jaquelinehyde Sat 15-Aug-09 19:36:09

Oh dittany really, what a wondeful way with words you have. Yes she hated it, she would say oohh stop it and then laugh, then one of my brothers would do a fake wobble and everyone would laugh. It's called having fun, a family joke, the same way my Dad would pin me down on the floor and tickle me now I hated it and just wished he would stop but my God it was good fun.

mrsjammi Sat 15-Aug-09 19:37:50

Message withdrawn

Jujubean77 Sat 15-Aug-09 19:37:50

Awful. Bloody stupid. Hate seeing things like this - what a myth that people will never drop them when held in stupid ways like this. My cousin a Paed has many story about the outcome of the many people that do.

What other reason to do this than to show off?

Jaquelinehyde Sat 15-Aug-09 19:38:23

Throwing (slightly older) babies in the air and catching them is also great fun. Listening to their shreiking giggling each time you do it.

I suppose I should have all my children removed by social services for doing this.

JustcallmeDog Sat 15-Aug-09 19:41:03

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now