Talk

Advanced search

Rude comments while BF at a cafe

(10 Posts)
Chica31 Tue 11-Aug-09 11:22:24

I was BF at a cafe yesterday and a family group sat down behind me. They were very loud and were trying to wind a dog up who was in the flat above. ie not a nice family, they were all wearing crocks lol.

It looked like it was going to rain so DH nipped back to the car to get the rain cover for the pram. When I started to BF the father and son behind me started shouting titty! I turned round, but I think they thought I couldn't understand them, we live in Spain but I speak the language very well. They then started again until I gave a very dirty look.
What would you do? I couldn't think of any withering remark to say. Please tell me some I can use it the future.

My DD is 11 weeks, good job this didn't happen earlier as I was worried about BF in public. You don't see it much here none of my friends BF. However, everyone is normally really supportive all the old ladies in our village think its great, I normally have the opposite problem with them being too interested and supportive!!

PortAndLemon Tue 11-Aug-09 11:29:39

If you are very fluent I would probably have said something like "Yes, I am a woman, I have breasts. That is very observant of you. I also have a brain and some semblance of manners, which is perhaps an area you need to work on."

And possibly added "and a husband who is a black belt in karate and will be very interested to discuss my breastfeeding with you on his return if you have any further questions"

slayerette Tue 11-Aug-09 11:40:28

Can't help, I'm afraid, because my son wears Crocs, so you wouldn't want advice from one such as me hmm

But the passive-aggressive 'lol' made that sentence much less offensive...

FairyCalledNuff Tue 11-Aug-09 11:51:38

Honestly? If they are people you are unlikely to meet again. Just ignore them! They are obviously way beyond help.

But if you do come across them again and they repeat their little play, just speak to the mother/wife and say something about how you're glad that you just have the one dc and how they never seem to grow up....

Chica31 Tue 11-Aug-09 11:52:21

Very good retort port and lemon, I'll use that one.

Sorry if I offended slayerette, I was only joking.

Chica31 Tue 11-Aug-09 11:53:36

The mother did look very embarrassed.

WelliesAndPyjamas Tue 11-Aug-09 11:57:55

IMO it isn't worth getting wound up by strange people like that. Let them live their lives and get on with yours. If they need to be rude and childish then it's their problem, there's no need for you to enter in to arguements (especially since you know there is nothing wrong with BF and no need to justify it). )Feed your baby if she is hungry and that's that.

AliBean Tue 11-Aug-09 11:58:19

Were they Spanish!!

Wow, all my DP's Spanish family are thrilled about my plans to BF...I was under the impression that it is much more acceptable over there along with the generally much more accepting attitude towards babies and children.

Am very surprised....you should have said "beso me culo" and left it at that! grin

ruddynorah Tue 11-Aug-09 12:02:06

if it annoyed you that much i'd have just turned and said 'do you mean me?'

Chica31 Tue 11-Aug-09 12:31:45

Yes they were Spanish. Same as England of course, you get great people and not so great.

The attitude to babies in Spain is wonderful, we take DD everywhere, we went to a smartish restaurant yesterday, DD cried for 5mins before she went to sleep, I was really embarrassed, but no one batted an eye lid. The lady next to me saw I was worried and even offered to give her a cuddle while I ate. However, where we live BF doesn't seem to be that common. But the support has been amazing. My local clinic has a breast feeding group followed by baby massage, loads of people go, but no one BF.

I think you are all right, just ignoring them as I did was the best option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now