Talk

Advanced search

re. reusing a cot matress?

(13 Posts)
Thandeka Fri 07-Aug-09 13:23:42

Have brought a cot from ebay and was all set to buy a new matress (and still may) anyhow the lady said I could have the matress anyway as it is a top of the range one and was only used for her second child who wasn't a sicky snotty child (unlike her first which is why they brought a new matress second time around). It has completely removable covers so I can wash it at 90 degress (with bleach maybe) to get rid of any lurking nasties (may also steam clean the inner bit or something). Their house was pet and smoke free so not worried on that front. Also matress is going to be stored here for a while before being put into use (have a fair few months to go was just grabbing an ebay bargain!) so the matress can "acclimatise" to the nasties in our house- we have moths and all sorts- yay!?

The matress seems in great condition not a stain anywhere and looks brand new and it just seems such a terrible waste not to use it and buy the exact same mattress again but then am wary because of SIDS and this is my PFB. Hmmmm.

What would you do?
Nargh!?

stabintheback Fri 07-Aug-09 13:24:44

i would buy a new one myself

stabintheback Fri 07-Aug-09 13:26:49

i am sorry but that was my knee jerk reaction and that is what i did, though mine are older.

Thandeka Fri 07-Aug-09 13:31:10

http://www.sidsandkids.org/pdf/october05_statement.pdf

has some interesting points. Will look at the research in more detail.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Fri 07-Aug-09 13:33:17

I used an at least third hand mattress which was very well used with Ds and he is fine! I couldn't afford to buy a new mattress and knew the family that I aquired it from. It didn't have the fab removable covers they have now either.

I did get a new mattress for Dd, but that was only because the donated cot didn't have one with it. It has a removable cover and I think anyone that has it after my Dd would be mad to throw it out as it's like new!

Sooo, I's say use it and don't give it another thought.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Fri 07-Aug-09 13:34:44

Oh yes! both my babies were on their front sleepers too.

CarGirl Fri 07-Aug-09 13:35:53

if the mattress is sealed with plastic or similar it is fine to use. It's foam containing mattresses that aren't sealed that are the issue.

PrincessToadstool Fri 07-Aug-09 13:35:57

I would never use a secondhand mattress, particularly from a stranger (as opposed to family where you might know how long it was used for a bit better)

Foam mattresses are £30 in Mothercare. It's not a lot really.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Fri 07-Aug-09 14:27:03

Depends on the cot size PT, my Dd's is a M&P and they only make one mattress that fits it, so if it'd been £10 or £100, I'd have had no choice but to buy it or if it'd had one, use the used one.

Personally, I think there is a lot of scaremongering about these things and as long as you are comfortable using a used mattress, then no problem IMO

PrincessToadstool Fri 07-Aug-09 15:25:50

Yes Solo I agree that generally these things are meant to scare us a bit, and I can't think of a reason a plastic-backed mattress would be unsafe.

I suppose I was looking at it from a cost POV but I too could not pay £100 for something like that so that would make up my mind too.

Thandeka Fri 07-Aug-09 18:13:35

thanks guys- all food for thought.
Have checked with the lady- it hasnt been used in last 10 months but was just stored in the same room (not attic or garage) until it got taken apart yesterday. That also reassures me. Next am going to check it is plastic (is currenly hidden behind sofa!).

Am also going to double check the scientific studies behind the link I posted and some others and properly evaluate it as I suspect "new cot matress for every baby" has become a mantra people peddle garnered by the media and cot bedding manufacturers.

Umlellala Fri 07-Aug-09 21:09:52

Well, I bought a new one for my freecycle moses basket but I would prob use one from someone I knew. Am about to sell our cot/changing table - if our mattress fits your cot, you are welcome to it (dd was in it from 6mths to 15mths for at least part of the night but ds has never slept in it!!).

Having said that, with all you've said, I'd prob just use the ebay one. grin

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sat 08-Aug-09 13:08:09

Thandeka, I think most of the modern cot mattress covers that can be washed at 90 degrees are not plastic backed, but don't allow moisture through anyway. My Dd's one is a foam mattress and has a 20"(ish)sleeve that goes around the foam but under the cover, so that if there is any moisture that gets through the cover, it doesn't get into the foam. For us, it's happened twice with over wet nappies, but I just wipe the sleeve over when I take the cover off to wash it. Yours may be similar.

Also, I agree! The manufacturers must have been rubbing their grubby mitts together when the 'experts' said 'New baby, new mattress'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now