Talk

Advanced search

This has been going on for ages and I'm now getting reeeaaally upset...

(6 Posts)
singalongamumum Thu 06-Aug-09 11:06:18

I will describe the problem as briefly as I can! 5 weeks ago, the council delivered communal bins (big black things, size of large skips but with lids) around the area in which we live. They placed one in front of our neighbour's property which is a shop. She is at the end of the street and has a double yellow line in front of her shop. We knew this was going to happen as everyone has been consulted. One week later, she moved the bin in front of our house with help from her fellow retailers ( a fact she now denies but I know she did it- I won't bother you with that long story). She then ignored me for 3 weeks and went round all the neighbours slagging me off (for want of a better word), saying I had had the bin put in front of her shop.

I have been phoning the council for 4 weeks to get the bin re-sited in the agreed position. I have had numerous reassurances that it will be moved back with fixing devices on it etc, but nothing has ever happened. Then yesterday some operations manager came down, had a look and decided that it will stay in front of our house, in a public parking space, after all. This is apparently the 'final decision'.

I can't believe it- I cannot believe the council have treated us so badly, that my neighbour has been so mean and bullish and that they've ended up prioritising a business over a home! I am so upset I think I might explode.

I am 4 months pregnant and at home with toddler most days so it's not like I get to go to work and forget about the situation for a few hours. Also I am obviously knackered and hormonal so finding it really difficult to stay calm!!!!!

I am so tired of phoning the council and speaking to some call centre person, who takes and passes messages but no one who makes these decisions ever calls me back.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

WWYD?

completelyshotpelvicfloor Thu 06-Aug-09 20:45:01

It might be worth contacting the Highways Agency - if it is on a public highway and taking up a parking space then it would be classed as an obstruction and should be moved. I have found that the bit of the council that deals with refuse does not necessarily talk to the Highways Agency and they often have disagreements. Worth a try.

Alternatively contact your local councillor. They usually have an email address and contact details on the council website or in the phone book.

Failing that take yourself and toddler (preferably when toddler needs a nap and is a bit cranky), present yourself at the council offices, demand to see the person in charge and refuse to leave until you get satisfaction! (Worked for me!)

HecatesTwopenceworth Thu 06-Aug-09 22:19:36

I think you should take it to the local paper! They always love a story like that! Pic of you in front of the bin, looking pissed off! Story about how the council have been crap!

HecatesTwopenceworth Thu 06-Aug-09 22:21:21

Oh, meant to add that many moons ago, I worked for a council. You could call every day of your life and complain and it would make bugger all difference! but if you said you were heading across the road to the paper, or they called asking about it - things happened!!

They don't much care about individuals but they care about a bad story in the paper!

Sad but true.

catinthehat2 Thu 06-Aug-09 22:32:23

get details of your local councillor on this site

singalongamumum Fri 07-Aug-09 13:25:33

Thanks everyone- the problem with bad publicity is that they've had so much of it as they've made such a bodge of it across the city I'm not sure one more story will make much difference!

I have contacted my councillor who is 'trying to help' but I am not sure how good he is. He is a green councillor and a bit woolly- is that a bad thing to say?! blush

I will have to toughen up, I think, and go and sit in their office until I get a result. I hate stuff like this! Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now