Talk

Advanced search

Failed to wash split peas before making stew, would you eat it?

(14 Posts)
WhatFreshHellIsThis Mon 03-Aug-09 20:18:22

Made a lamb stew on Sat, was planning on eating it tonight. Read the packet of split peas and pearl barley since, and they both say in bold letters to 'Wash thoroughly before cooking'

Why is this? And can I eat my stew, or is it not a good idea?

AnnieLobeseder Mon 03-Aug-09 20:22:25

I'd eat it.

I thought those things needed soaking and rinsing though?

WhatFreshHellIsThis Mon 03-Aug-09 20:32:14

Apparently boiling for an hour and a half, rather than soaking, so we did that, but failed to do the washing bit. blush

sayanything Mon 03-Aug-09 20:34:16

Doesn't boiling just about kill all there is to be killed? I'd eat it quite happily WFHIS.

WhatFreshHellIsThis Mon 03-Aug-09 20:35:37

Would you like some stew, sayanything? There's lots of it!

I've been googling to try and find out why washing is important, and loads of sites make a big deal of saying 'Always wash split peas thoroughly' but none of them say WHY! It's most frustrating.

MrsBadger Mon 03-Aug-09 20:35:58

oh eat it

it is only to cover themsleves in case there's a pebble in it

WhatFreshHellIsThis Mon 03-Aug-09 20:37:06

I'm sure you're right - you know when you just get unreasonably worried about something ridiculous? That's me, this evening.

Hormonesnomore Mon 03-Aug-09 20:38:04

I'd eat it, the boiling would have killed anything lurking. Stews used to be simmering away on the hob for days, with extra bits & bobs thrown in occasionally. I'm sure it'll be fine.

TrillianAstra Mon 03-Aug-09 20:38:50

I'd eat it, it's been boiled to death.

WhatFreshHellIsThis Mon 03-Aug-09 20:41:13

Ah, at last Google has turned something up:

"Dried beans are a product of the field and need to visually inspected for small stones, clumps of dirt and bits of foreign matter that are sometimes harvested along with the beans. Any broken beans must be removed as well, because they will not cook evenly. The easiest way to sort beans is on a large white plate. Place a single layer of beans on the plate and remove any unwanted items. After a little practice, this can be done very quickly. Some cooks sort their beans before placing them in storage containers so that they are ready to use at any time.

Next the beans must be washed. Place them in a large bowl or pot and cover them with four to six cups of water per cup of dry beans. (As a general guideline, one cup of dried beans makes approximately 3 cups cooked.) Gently swirl the beans in the water and remove any beans that float. These are hollow and will not cook properly. Pour off the water. If the water is particularly dirty, wash the beans again. Special care should be taken when washing split peas as their starches are exposed and will leach out into the washing water. The washing water will appear cloudy as if dirty, but it is not. Wash split peas quickly to avoid the loss of nutrients and flavor."

onepieceoflollipop Mon 03-Aug-09 20:41:19

Surely if it had a pebble in it then the pebble wouldn't dissolve in the washing water anyway? wink

Anyway, I am over cautious wrt food hygiene, I wash all normal fruit/veg thoroughly. However if I forgot to wash any sort of fruit or dried item etc and then it was boiled for even 5-10 mins I'd definitely eat it, honestly.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 03-Aug-09 20:42:31

Lol at your quote btw. grin

Next time why not consider Heinz beans on toast - no need to wash. grin

WhatFreshHellIsThis Mon 03-Aug-09 20:48:20

this is what happens when I get food ideas above my station grin

WhatFreshHellIsThis Mon 03-Aug-09 20:49:42

I tell you something though, it's bloody lovely stew smile Am tucking in right now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now