Talk

Advanced search

Is it safe to put a baby seat in the front passenger seat?

(8 Posts)
LulaTallulah Sat 01-Aug-09 09:49:42

I am expecting number three and we have just bought a Renault Espace which has the facility to turn off the front passenger airbags.

My question is, in peoples opinion, is it ok/safe to put the baby in their car seat in the front passenger seat if you turn the airbgs off?

I always thought it looked v. convenient as you can calm the baby while you are driving as they can see you rather than facing the back of the seat behind you.

Thoughts people?

theyoungvisiter Sat 01-Aug-09 09:52:08

I'm not an expert but I believe it's supposed to be safer to have them in the back regardless, something about the parts of the car that suffer most stress in an impact.

I think I would be more likely to put an older child in the front and the younger child in the back - or all three in the back (I would think in an espace you could fit 3 seats in the back, surely?)

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sat 01-Aug-09 09:52:55

No, it's not safe to put a baby in a front passenger seat, even with the airbags off, AFAIK.

All the cars I've seen have little pictures in the front with a rear facing car seat and a line through them. Also, it's the most dangerous seat in the car, so I wouldn't put my baby in the front TBH. smile

SoupDragon Sat 01-Aug-09 09:53:11

You can't calm the baby whilst you're driving, you'll be driving the car.

theyoungvisiter Sat 01-Aug-09 09:58:30

Oh, and in some countries it's illegal btw. Regardless of the air bag.

There was a new study that showed middle rear to be the safest seat (assuming you have a proper belt there, obv!)

LulaTallulah Sat 01-Aug-09 10:02:16

I was planning the middle rear to put the bubba in, so I think i'll stick with that idea. I always thought the back was safer, but you see so many people with babies in the front seat don't you?!

Thanks everyone!

MadameCastafiore Sat 01-Aug-09 10:14:17

ROSPA says your child is 25% more likely to be fatally injured in an accident if they are in the front of a car.

It has been known for ages that the middle back seat is the safest place for a child seat to be, if you have the proper seatbelt that is, due to the fact that there is more void around the child to absorb/cushion the impact before it reaches the child.

I get really cross when I see kids in front seats and an empty back seat.

BertieBotts Sun 02-Aug-09 19:42:19

People like the idea of having them in the front because it seems easier to calm them, but really I don't think it is worth it from a safety point of view - it's the most dangerous seat in terms of potential accidents and also, the baby could be a distraction while driving. If they are crying in the back you can pull over/try to get where you are going quickly, you are not going to be looking round trying to see what they want. If they are in the front seat you are more likely to try and settle them by stroking them, looking at them etc, which takes your attention off the road.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now