Talk

Advanced search

Should I cancel my DDs party for this reason...

(13 Posts)
MovingOutOfBlighty Thu 23-Jul-09 19:24:40

I have had swine flu this week (and no, it wasn't any worse than a normal flu!) I am now out of quarrantine.

Today, my dd (age 5) was sent home from school with a 'tummy ache and feeling tired'. She skipped all the way home and hasn't stopped playing, eating, generally being normal since. She hasn't any temp, any runny nose, in fact, she looks normal but a little tired.

It was sports day today and she has admitted she wanted to come home because 'She wasn't winning any prizes which upset her' and also because I wasn't there and she knew I was at home.

I have paid £25 deposit for her party on Monday with 15 kids coming. My dd looked devastated at the idea of cancelling and has said again that she is not ill.
Would you cancel, but then have the tricky rearranging during school hols with most people away, or would you just go for it?

ScummyMummy Thu 23-Jul-09 19:33:12

I think that even if you don't cancel you will have to let the other parents know about the possible swine flu so they can decide if they'd like their kids to attend or not. And I'm afraid quite a few might drop out. It's my impression that the fear factor has been raised considerably over the past few weeks with the death toll rising and pregnant women and under 5s being identified as particularly vulnerable. Bummer for your daughter when she's looking forward to it.

MovingOutOfBlighty Thu 23-Jul-09 19:33:18

Please... I really need some advice as brain has been frazzled by SF and not seeing people for 5 days1

rubyslippers Thu 23-Jul-09 19:33:32

she sounds fine

i wouldn't cancel

MovingOutOfBlighty Thu 23-Jul-09 19:34:40

Thanks ScummyMummy - good advice. I had a feeling a few may drop out.
Guess we should leave it till Sept when everyone is back perhaps.

Oh dear, I don't want to tell my dd. sad

MovingOutOfBlighty Thu 23-Jul-09 19:35:35

OOh, Ruby - perhaps there is hope...I am so easily swayed.
I have no brain...

Ewe Thu 23-Jul-09 19:38:17

I wouldn't cancel, your DD is fine, you're no longer ill. If she becomes ill I am sure you would cancel but at the moment there is no need IMO.

whooosh Thu 23-Jul-09 19:39:21

I wouldn't cancel.....there may be an even bigger problem in September (always the optimist Whooosh)

whomovedmychocolate Thu 23-Jul-09 19:39:40

Apparently you are contagious one day before you get symptoms to seven days afterwards. In those circumstances anyone could be contagious at any time if they are in that one day window where they are absolutely fine but incubating and exhaling viral spores (is it spores?).

So in other words, I wouldn't cancel. If you have had swine flu and recovered, you are no longer contagious and if your daughter hasn't got it by now she's not going to get it from you. So what exactly is it people have to worry about here?

MovingOutOfBlighty Thu 23-Jul-09 19:41:15

Ha HAH chocolate!!
These are good words! Starting to get reassured. I may not have to face a 'dog left in the rain face' from my dd

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 23-Jul-09 19:43:53

I was thinking you were going to cancel because your dd lied.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 23-Jul-09 19:44:01

Good. I'm getting a bit ticked off with people acting so panicky. I wouldn't worry about telling them you had a disease either - would you tell them if you had a cold a week ago? The kids will have discussed it already, don't harp on, just get on with enjoying the party.

MovingOutOfBlighty Thu 23-Jul-09 19:47:06

Fab - I have already punished her by making her sit through an episode of 'The Hills' with me when she came home (actually - I lie, she loved it!)

Ta Choc! [grin back at you]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now