Talk

Advanced search

Reading with DS (6)

(2 Posts)
BlueKangerooWonders Thu 23-Jul-09 11:01:45

DS and I read The Indian In The Cupboard and loved it. Then charity shop find, and we suddenly have the next 4 books in the series.

I've been reading the second one with ds, but it's about to turn in a way that I don't want to continue reading aloud (I skimmed rest of book last night). The boys in the story are now a year older, and we're in the realms of walking past skinheads loitering in an arcade (none of this important to the story) and major bloody battles with the indians. There's a house break-in coming up

So, I'm not going to continue reading aloud, but what do I tell ds? Tell him the real reasons? 'Lose' the book. Tell him to read himeself when he's a bit bigger?

WWYD?

legoprincess Thu 23-Jul-09 20:53:47

I would tell him the real reason. My DS (also 6) is able to read books aimed at much older children and likes to read the BBC news website. On the whole, that is fine and I don't try to 'shelter' him but on occasions there are things I just don't want him to know about (mainly if I think it would worry him). I tell him that I would prefer him not to read it because it's horrible/not for children to worry about etc. Sometimes we end up having a bit of a debate but it doesn't cause a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now