Talk

Advanced search

Virgin gyms

(8 Posts)
fattybumbum Tue 21-Jul-09 20:47:55

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place but I'm not sure where else to put it.

I can't drive and need to exercise (due to a high BMI and rheumatoid arthritis). The only place within reach of our bus service is Virgin Gym. Have discussed it with DH and have decided then when our new baby is 3/4 months old I will join and go to a 45min/1 hour class 3-4 times a week.

I can't exercise in the evenings or weekends as I will be working. I'd just like to know whether you think a creche at the gym will be a safe place to leave a small baby (and my 3 year old). I feel really guilty and selfish for even considering it but I really need to sort out my health and it's my only option.

If anyone uses a gym creche or has any experience of one, I'd really appreciate hearing about it. I'm a really anxious 'helicopter mum' type!

giantkatestacks Tue 21-Jul-09 20:50:30

My experience of one near me was that my baby didnt settle and didnt like it and it was run by 15 15 year olds. Yours may be different though. [hopeful emoticon]

Can you not just get an exercise bike/rowing machine/new exercise video/go out running/do lots of walking?

EldonAve Tue 21-Jul-09 20:54:56

I used to go to one
Staff were lovely
Check the Ofsted report

fattybumbum Tue 21-Jul-09 21:36:06

I just looked at the Ofsted report. All they have on the site is a letter saying that they have passed all the standards.No information of any kind.

Giant, I cannot really do exercise during the day in the normal way as my eldest child would not give me the peace to do it. Brisk walking isn't even an option as my son walks everywhere now at his own pace and I am too unfit to jog etc anyway. The gym/creche option is the only viable one.

HeliumBee Thu 23-Jul-09 23:32:40

I leave my children at a virgin creche - it's fine though I dont leave them there more than 1 a week for an hour or so and they are a little older than your chlidren (1 and 3).
What specifically are you worried about?
Could you drop your baby off during a nap time so they sleep through it..?!
Sounds like you could be doing yourself a disservice to your child/yourself by NOT excercising if you need to.
Perhaps try other options first - (excercise videos, walks etc).

helpYOUiWILL Sat 01-Aug-09 19:00:44

my boys have just started going to our local virgin gym (2 and 5). So far so good! they are ofsted inspected so have to have some sort of standard. Which area do you live?

fattybumbum Sun 02-Aug-09 21:16:16

South Manchester.
Can your kids use the pool or do you have to pay extra for them to have their own membership?

silverfrog Sun 02-Aug-09 21:25:06

my Virign creche is fabulous!

very efficient, and my girls (4 and 2) love it.

dd1 has SN, and they cater for ehr brilliantly - not phased at all, and give me a very full report on her activities during her time there.

I only use it infrequently at the moment, but both girls ask to go back, as they love ti so much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now