Talk

Advanced search

Do you think it's worth dropping in some info on car seat safety to my HV?

(3 Posts)
BertieBotts Mon 20-Jul-09 11:53:18

Just had DS' 9 month check. They weighed him and then HV asked whether he was in a forward facing car seat. I said no, because rearfacing is safer, and she looked shocked and said "But he's 9kg; he's over the weight limit, you must turn him around". I reassured her that he was well within the 13kg limit of his rearfacing car seat and she seemed happy with that but I am worried that this advice she is giving is incorrect - and it may prompt some parents into turning their babies around before 9kg (or as soon as they hit it), thinking they are doing the best for their children.

I was thinking of taking some info into the clinic from the ROSPA site, which states that you should keep your baby in the Group 0(+) seat for as long as possible, ie until they are too tall or too heavy for it. Do you think this would be ok or not? Would I be better to write a letter?

Silver1 Mon 20-Jul-09 14:05:16

I would drop the information to her along the lines of these are the guidelines I am following they are endorsed by ROSPA and I have every confidence in them

Rather than "You are wrong and should shut up" which is how she will take anything other than the most delicately written note.

BertieBotts Mon 20-Jul-09 17:55:17

grin Yes I can be delicate, no worries!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now