Talk

Advanced search

would you risk this or not....help!

(20 Posts)
pickyvic Sat 18-Jul-09 23:13:26

we are meant to be going on our annual family hols tomorrow;

today i got the car serviced (yes i know it was a very very stupid thing to do the day before the hols! but i honestly thought there would be nowt wrong! it passed its MOT a few months ago!)

1 there is a nail stuck in my front tyre
2 my 2 front coil springs are broke
3 my brake pads are nearly out
4 my exhaust is leaking

so the most pressing problem is the coil springs - apparently they can fly off and go into the tyre while driving and could cause an accident

thing is they mechanic said i must have been driving round like that for a while. was ignorance bliss?
so i either risk driving for 3 hours to our holiday destination tomorrow with a packed car, 2 kids and 2 dogs

or i dont go and try and get car fixed. which will take till who knows when as they will have to order the parts in....
i was soooo tempted to risk it - after all ive been driving the car like this for god knows how long
but now i know its different and im scared to do it just in case

wwyd? not have your one and only hols?
or forfeit the hols to get the car fixed and go when thats done, even if its only a few days left?
help. im so pissed off i cant think straight.

FAQinglovely Sat 18-Jul-09 23:15:17

I would get the car fixed - sorry.

Any chance you can get a cheap car hire??

hercules1 Sat 18-Jul-09 23:16:56

Forfeit the holiday like a shot.

silkcushion Sat 18-Jul-09 23:19:23

sorry to read this sad

Shitty situation but fwiw I've had an experience with coil sprngs (never heard of the feckers before this)

Last year, driving up the motorway, pissing down with rain, just me and then 4 month old dd in the car. Tyre blows out - apparently the coil snapped and stabbed the tyre shock. Was pretty frightening, car was undrivable (spring stuck in tyre and attached to the main bit of the car too so changing tyre wouldn't help)

I wouldn't drive with dodgy coil springs, nail in tyre or iffy brakes. Is there anyway you can hire a car (no idea what that cost) or borrow one and sort yours out when you get back?

hunkermunker Sat 18-Jul-09 23:20:46

Your car hasn't been driven round with full load of luggage and people and dogs.

And I presume you've not done a 3-hour journey in it recently?

You cannot drive with a nail in your front tyre, or with nearly broken coil springs or with dodgy brakes.

Can you hire a car? Is it worth taking the risk and potentially killing or injuring one or more of you in an accident?

mynaughtylittlesister Sat 18-Jul-09 23:21:27

Def think I would forfeit the hol until car is fixed - sorry. (better to be safe than sorry)

mynaughtylittlesister Sat 18-Jul-09 23:21:32

Def think I would forfeit the hol until car is fixed - sorry. (better to be safe than sorry)

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 18-Jul-09 23:23:30

Put the car in to be fixed and hire a car to go on holiday.

Frizbe Sat 18-Jul-09 23:25:42

Hire a car if you can? those springs need fixing, we had the horrible experience of one in the tyre earlier this year too, its not good, thankfully dh was driving at a slow speed when it happened.

paisleyleaf Sat 18-Jul-09 23:28:13

I just couldn't use it for that journey now, knowing it's not roadworthy.
Bit of a PITA they didn't do the work
Can you hire a car?

pickyvic Sat 18-Jul-09 23:32:19

oh bugger. i kind of thought that but youve all confirmed it.

im sooo gutted, i cant even begin to tell you how much i need this holiday. but your right. need to get car fixed.

tomorrow ill take it to get tyre sorted, thats easy, its the bloody coil springs that im betting need to be ordered in.

if its going to take longer than by Monday we will hire a car while it gets sorted. no wonder i never have any bloody money.sad

ta all. i wont risk it. x

silkcushion Sat 18-Jul-09 23:35:35

Picky - I took my vauxhall to the dealership to fix and they did it the same day. Seems vauxhall coil springs are prone to busting.

pickyvic Sat 18-Jul-09 23:39:24

funny that - its a corsa! and its happened twice already and only done 40 thousand miles. never again then a vauxhall!

MIAonline Sat 18-Jul-09 23:40:59

Saw your other thread so knew what this was about and was about to say a firm no, but see you have already been given and followed the wise MNers advice.

Too late as usual. grin

Hope you enjoy your Hols.

silkcushion Sat 18-Jul-09 23:48:00

twice already shock

I got vauxhall to replace mine free of charge and pay for the tyre even though it wasn't in warranty.

When the blow out happened it was a saturday night. When the tow vehicle took me home I googled it cos I had no idea what a coil spring was and found a whole forum talking about how there was design fault and there should be a recall but vauxhall wouldn't do it.

I was livid and gave vauxhall a hard time. explaining myself and dd could have died! They eventually caved in and paid for it all - car had done about 60,000 miles but was only 4 years old

HAve a good holiday

pickyvic Sat 18-Jul-09 23:49:00

thanks mia....i will if i ever bloody get there. wonder if its worth phoning vauxhall dealers first thing monday....

i sense a major rip off about to happen however...my neigbour could have done it for me but not till august. buggeration. would have been so much cheaper~!
am sulking now as really want my hols!

why did i get the bloody car serviced today???

pickyvic Sat 18-Jul-09 23:50:35

shock silk!

wonder if i should try that then....its not done many miles and this is the second time that both front springs have gone....

blinder Sat 18-Jul-09 23:52:57

maybe you got it serviced out of instinct! get the repairs done - might be the best thing you ever did!

pickyvic Sun 19-Jul-09 12:30:03

well - a bit of good news. ive got it in for first thing tomorrow so we should be on our way by 2ish tomorrow all being well. good old kwik fit! they were the only one open today so theyve ordered the parts to be here tomorrow all being well. (keep everything crossed for me please!)

my purse will be a lot lighter though!

MIAonline Sun 19-Jul-09 12:47:09

That's great pickyvic, glad you got it sorted. smile

Can't get that bloody Kwik fit song out of my head now though. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now