should I go in or stay at home? I am 24 weeks tomorrow and am pretty fit and healthy overall. I have a 2.7 DD and my partner works away during the week (and in fact is due to be away this weekend as well). Just had a call from the office to say that there is one suspected case of swine flu in my office and others confrimed within the building.
I am a civil servant and happily they are very supportive of pregnant women so I know they would respect my decision if I decided to stay away. However, I am not by instinct a panicker and have a mountain of work to deal with and dont want to make a fuss over nothing.
I am also not a panicker - the first thing my occ health department said was that I should stay away from anyone with a sniffle. Do you have an occ health department who can take this decision away from you?
My first reaction would be to stay away. On the otherhand - you really can't escape a pandemic. You can only catch it through someone who is exhibiting symptoms and if people are very diligent about staying away when they have a snuffle then you shouldn't have to be the one keeping away.
Mixed advice - but you can't stay away from the outside world for the next 6 months...
I kind of agree with the principle that I can't realistically avoid it forever and so even if I stay off for a couple of weeks it may still be as bad (or most likely worse) by the time I decide to come back.
I think I will give the MW a call and speak to my HR department and see if there is any policy on it. I will then possibly try and mix working from home and going in when necessary. I do have an office (shared with 1 other) so I could always shut the door and not touch anyone/thing in the open plan bit!