Talk

Advanced search

Would you let your dc to sleep in a travel cot for approx 6-8 weeks?

(19 Posts)
HeadFairy Wed 15-Jul-09 09:00:28

We're moving house soon, but unfortunately we've got a 6-8 week time difference between moving out of our house and in to our new one... we're house sitting at my sisters for a month and then going to my mum and dad's for the rest of the time... however, my sister doesn't have a cot at hers... her youngest dd is 3 and they've just dismantled it and put it away.

Do you think it's wrong to let ds (22 months) sleep in a travel cot for a month (and then a few more weeks at my mum and dad's or should we not put his cot in storage and take it to my sister's?

Bear in mind I'm 16 weeks pg, and we're moving out in three weeks....

Uriel Wed 15-Jul-09 09:03:11

Yes. Had one of mine in a travel cot for about that sort of time when I was doing a university placement abroad.

sandcastles Wed 15-Jul-09 09:21:51

Yes, why not! Although I would put a folded quilt or blanket under tha bottem sheet as the mattresses can be uncomfy!

ButterbeerAndLemon Wed 15-Jul-09 09:25:22

Yes, although like sandcastles I might do something about the mattress.

lizziemun Wed 15-Jul-09 10:52:25

Yes I would and have done.

I just got a cheap cot mattress and cut the excess length (with a bread knife)off so it had a good mattress.

LeninGrad Wed 15-Jul-09 10:55:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HeadFairy Wed 15-Jul-09 12:28:39

cool, thanks for that. I hope my back doesn't go from hoiking him out every morning... dh will be unable to walk during that time as he's having a knee op, so it'll all be down to me.

littleboyblue Wed 15-Jul-09 12:30:58

I would. You can buy mattress's for most travel cots if they are to be for a longer period. My friend has one as her baby who is now just over a year has been in her room since birth in a travel cot.

DracoDormiensNunquamTitilandus Wed 15-Jul-09 12:34:17

It is going to put quite a strain on your back.

Is there any reason you can't use the proper cot seeing as it's for such a long time?

oneopinionatedmother Wed 15-Jul-09 12:34:42

yes. my lo sleeps in a hard=-bottomed playpen all the time. her sleeping bag is very thick though so thin mattress is fine.

littleboyblue Wed 15-Jul-09 12:38:26

Unless the proper cot has a drop side, it wouldn't make much difference to strain on back would it? A toddler of that age would have the mattress on lowest setting, so would still need to bend to heave lo out. That was my regret at not getting a drop-side with ds1. hard during pregnancy with ds2.

DracoDormiensNunquamTitilandus Wed 15-Jul-09 12:45:50

I find it makes a difference - a proper cot tends to be higher and the sides are firmer for leaning on for support.

DracoDormiensNunquamTitilandus Wed 15-Jul-09 12:46:52

I do suffer back problems though. DS2 slept in the travel cot for a good few weeks and I was actually unable to get him out after a while.

littleboyblue Wed 15-Jul-09 12:47:36

Oh yes, I suppose so. I do remember the travel cot was harder to lean into to settle ds1 when I was heavily pregnant. Ignore me then smile

PinkTulips Wed 15-Jul-09 12:48:36

we didn't have a cot until dd was 8 months old shock (couldn't fit one in our teeny tiny flat!)

somebody gave us a travel cot when she was 8 weeks and i crammed that into our room and she shared her time between that and our bed. be warned, it will kill your back!

i agree about padding the mattress a bit, maybe even buy a cot mattress that will fit in it? if any will!

HeadFairy Wed 15-Jul-09 13:46:02

Draco, my sister has dismantled her cot and put it in the loft as her dds are too old for it now, all my furniture is going in to storage as we've got a 6-8 week gap between moving out of our house and getting in to the new one. I could keep the cot out and move it in to my sisters house, it'll fit, but it might be a bit of a hassle... I don't have the greatest back and that was my worry really... mind you ds is pretty good at settling at night, he's not a waker (famous last words eh? )

alittlebitfat Thu 16-Jul-09 13:00:10

I put my son into one as he kept getting legs jammed in cot railings. We did get a proper mattress made for it though, this was 8 yrs ago, mothercare put me in touch with a company that made odd sized mattresses

Lizzzombie Thu 16-Jul-09 13:07:50

just skimmed this thread, but mothercare now sell a foam mattress which is travel cot size. Not just a 'travel' mattress. Its the same price at the 'travel' mattress, but probably better for use over a long period of time. Plus, LO can use it as a crash mat when they progress to a big bed!

HeadFairy Mon 20-Jul-09 10:11:42

thanks for that lizz... it's a bit on the steep side (£100 for the cot and matress shock) but I guess you can't put a price on your dcs comfort. It's either that or lug our own cot around, dismantling it, reassembling it for one month, then dismantling it again and taking it to my mum and dad's to put reassembled and then dismantled again for the move. Lots of hassle there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now