Talk

Advanced search

Felt really embarrassed tonight...how to face everyone tomorrow...?!

(11 Posts)
misspollysdolly Thu 09-Jul-09 23:43:49

Went to the Playgroup Mum's social tonight, which was generally lovely until whilst animatedly talking to another Mum the chair I was sitting on inexplicably and dramatically collapsed underneath me, which was funny (I can SO see the funny side) but also really embarrassing! - Everyone was looking at me, it totally cut the conversations around the room dead and now I can't stop thinking about how daft it must've made me look.

Now I am totally split down the middle - half of me i thinking 'hey, play it cool, these things happen, just don't mention it again!' whereas the other, self-conscious, self-loathing side of me is screaming 'you total idiot, you just looked like a fat, stupid person whoe chair couldn't take your weight and these people will think even less of you now than they did before - LOSER!'

How do I face the playgroup drop off tomorrow...?! How do escape thinking that EVERYONE will be laughing behind my back...? HELP!

AirPieandWindyPudding Thu 09-Jul-09 23:47:55

I fell off a sofa which had a broken arm - I leaned on the arm and went completely arse over tit onto the floor. It was in front of a group of good friends and they laughed, but not horribly but I was SOOOOOOO embarrassed - it's humiliating and I feel your pain.

I think your first option is the better one. Even if some people are still sniggering, they really will forget about it pretty soon - certainly long before you do. Focus on making friends and enjoying yourself and don't let this get in the way of things - that would be a shame.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 09-Jul-09 23:50:18

How fat are you?

If you are a remotely normal size then please forget about it, it wasn't your arse honestly.

If however, you are a fatty like me then have a think - I know I would if I turned something into kindling (I would be pretty embarassed to as I have a giant ass)

BettyTurnip Thu 09-Jul-09 23:50:45

Did nobody laugh (in a nice way!)?

TrillianAstra Thu 09-Jul-09 23:50:58

It could happen to anyone, they'll be thinking 'that was funny' exactly the same as if it had happened to anyone. I doubt any of the other mums will be thinking that it had anything to do with you personally.

pollywobbledoodle Fri 10-Jul-09 00:23:36

your other option is to play it cool by laughing at yourself and saying to one or two of them, i bet i looked daft.....

misspollysdolly Fri 10-Jul-09 00:26:15

To be honest, I am big, which is increasing my cringing - certainly was the biggest in the room and a lot of the other mums are somewhat small bottomed 'martini people'. I made light of it and yes there was sympathetic laughter all round. But now in hindsight, I am struggling with my own feelings of shame and embarrassment. I always worry about what people think of me, so something like this is pretty much my worst case scenario. I am fairly comfortable about my size, but do hate the thought that other people will put it down to that and that alone (bearing in mind, I had been sitting on said chair for over an hour before it collapsed - not even really sure what happened.) On the outside I gave off an attempt at nonchalent amusement at what happened, but now inside I'm dying. They must all be thinking how stupid I am...

BettyTurnip Fri 10-Jul-09 00:27:41

Exactly what I was thinking, but then if no-one laughed (kindly, whilst helping you up and brushing you down) in the first place they sound a bit po-faced tbh. Just hold your head up and forget about it!

BettyTurnip Fri 10-Jul-09 00:29:13

Sorry x-post. I think you are "over-thinking" it. They probably forgot about it by the next morning.

JeMeSouviens Fri 10-Jul-09 01:34:52

I think you have to raise it, to get it out there, otherwise you'll be thinking they're thinking about it, all the time.

I'd say gosh, I've got an almight bruise from that chair collapsing, HOW FUNNY was that!

Or something similar. If you mention it first, you won't have to think about it again.

(old hand at embarrassing myself in front of co-workers and living to tell the tale)

Silver1 Sat 11-Jul-09 00:28:41

I agree with BettyTurnip- life's too busy with small children to be worrying about someone breaking a chair.
When I saw the title and read the first line I thought you'd got drunk flirted with the barman and snogged a mum!
Don't worry about it EVERYONE has embarrassing moments in life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now