Talk

Advanced search

Day out in heatwave

(23 Posts)
flamingobingo Thu 02-Jul-09 07:24:56

Friends have invited us (and a load of others) to go out fossil hunting today in the scorching weather (up to high 20s) next to a cliff by a big river. I really want to go. All the friends that are going are lovely, and the alternative is to stay at home all day in a pigsty with me being very tired from crap night's sleep so will be very ratty!

But...

1. scorchio weather
2. no shade
3. mile walk there and back with 9m old baby on my back
4. probably not all-terrain buggyable (a friend has offered to carry 2yo)
5. 4 and 6yo will have to walk
6. because of lack of buggy, will have to carry water/snacks (friend is supplying lunch)
7. did I mention no shade?
8. and no where for 9mo to crawl around
9. and the mile long walk?

I'm very worried that some/all of us will get heatstroke - how much of a danger is that?

I might go out and buy a suntent for the baby, but that will be one more thing to carry (although lovely friends of walking children have offered insisted upon carrying anything that needs carrying and entertaining anyone that needs entertaining).

If I go, I'll take the buggy and push it as far as I can and then leave it where I have to.

They might go for a drink afterwards in a pub garden so could join them then.

It's the walk back I'm worried about, actually. If the children get very tired and could potentially get ill, I'll then have to make them walk a mile back in the scorching sun!

Soooo...WWYD?!

Need lots of answers by 10am please grin

SoupDragon Thu 02-Jul-09 07:37:15

Erm... I think I'd give it a miss on the basis of the mile walk in hot weather with no shade.

If you did go, you'd definitely need to take something for some shade.

flamingobingo Thu 02-Jul-09 07:57:39

Thanks for the input. smile

What would anyone else do?

differentID Thu 02-Jul-09 07:59:15

Give it a miss, especially with 4 dc under 7.

schneebly Thu 02-Jul-09 07:59:34

I wouldn't go in this heat esp if no shade

hereidrawtheline Thu 02-Jul-09 08:00:02

Some are more adventurous than others.

But if it were me I would say a resounding no.

A long walk with hot tired cranky children is a living hell! Especially when you are carrying stuff. And not good for a baby I would have thought.

schneebly Thu 02-Jul-09 08:00:19

can you make new arrangements to go somewhere shaded or go swimming or something?

flamingobingo Thu 02-Jul-09 08:01:48

Tried to suggest den-building in some nice shady woods but the arranging friend was all geared up for fossil hunting and didn't want to change plans sad.

Other friends all seem to be ok with day in sun in heatwave - they're youngest are older than my youngest, but I still think they're mad.

Thanks for all the input so far - will be very interested to see if anyone says they'd go!

herbietea Thu 02-Jul-09 08:03:45

Message withdrawn

wiggletastic Thu 02-Jul-09 08:06:20

I think your older DC would probably be ok if they were well covered up and had lots of water but I don't think this is a good idea for a 9 month old baby. Both of you will be very, very hot if you use a sling. I had my 8 month DD in her sling the other day for half an hour and we were both too hot. I think the option of meeting them at the pub with shady garden later is a good one.

bellavita Thu 02-Jul-09 08:09:03

flamingo - I have got two DS's who are 12 and 9 and I would think twice about it. If there is chance of dipping in and out of shade, then maybe. But NO SHADE.....

At the primary school this afternoon, the kids are doing a sponsored walk around the field and I am already worrying about that - especially as DS2 he blonde. Before he left for school yesterday (with hat) I rubbed a factor 50 stick all over his face. He was still red when he came in (and he also took it to school with him to reapply, which he does do very well).

hullygully Thu 02-Jul-09 08:09:04

The walk would stop me, too. I'd play in the garden then meet in the pub. The moaning on the walk would be indescribable.

ChopsTheDuck Thu 02-Jul-09 08:10:45

The older kids can carry umbrellas for shade. Can you splash in the river? Take some water pistols to fill up and squirt to cool down?

I'd take the buggy and if necessary fold it and carry it for the last bit so the baby has somewhere to sit in the shade of the buggy.

The 4yo and 6yo can carry backpacks with drinks in. I'd stick some bottles in the freezer the night before, so it is icy cold for the trip.

I'd do it, but then we do that sort of thing all the time on holiday. Climbed up the side of a mountain in 33c with 8yo,6yo and 3yo dts. As long as you take plenty of water and sunhats etc, it's fine. I wish I was going, I'm stuck in the house til at least 1! Then we are going to go out and enjoy it.

flamingobingo Thu 02-Jul-09 08:23:54

Would be good idea for river water except that it's over not very safe mudflats!

I'm torn because I'm worried about how it would go, but also I know my friends will be fantastic and all their children (if not moaning) will jolly my children along.

Anyway, I've texted them now to say I won't be going, but made it clear in a nice, diplomatic way that I think they're nuts and I don't know why they don't do it another day when it's cooler!

Bit glum about it - hope they do do something afterwards - think I'll go mad at home all day long!

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 02-Jul-09 08:29:20

Sorry another no from me

hullygully Thu 02-Jul-09 08:30:05

Oh just go - you'll all survive. Pour water over their heads as they walk and soak their hats. You sound like you'll regret it otherwise. Take sweets for bribery. Complete change from earlier post, but you sound so fed up!

flamingobingo Thu 02-Jul-09 09:01:57

Can't carry enough water to pour over their heads all day!

It goes against all the advice for heatwaves - I do think my friends are nuts.

1. stay out of the sun between 11 and 3 (we're meeting at 11! shock)

2. Avoid physical activity or do it at the cooler ends of the day (we're walking a mile twice)

3. Cool yourself down with cool water throughout the day (we can't carry enough water to do that and drink it!)

I'm not going and I'm glad you all said not to, really. Just glum that my friends are so bonkers and won't change plans for today.

Ho hum!

hullygully Thu 02-Jul-09 09:06:50

Never mind, yours will soon be older and then it won't be a problem.

wiggletastic Thu 02-Jul-09 09:16:33

Get the hose and any/all water toys out and have a fun day splashing about in the garden. I remember many fun hot days when I was little that involved nothing more than a couple of fairy liquid bottles filled with water to run around squirting at each other.

melmog Thu 02-Jul-09 09:19:28

I don't think I'd go even without the dcs.

Days like this are meant for playing in the garden with buckets of water and lying on sun loungers.

saadia Thu 02-Jul-09 09:23:10

sounds like a mad plan to me, better to stay home - baby could get very uncomfortable - and this heat is utterly draining.

bohemianbint Thu 02-Jul-09 09:33:48

A no from me, but I really don't like the heat unless I can be in some water!

squeaver Thu 02-Jul-09 09:37:37

Glad you're not going. It'll be interesting to hear how your friends get on [evil] grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now