Talk

Advanced search

Advice Needed on what to tell landlord

(19 Posts)
Pottytroll Tue 30-Jun-09 21:51:04

After getting made redundant a couple of months ago housing benefit still haven't sorted out my claim. I manage to make the last couple of months rent but I can not do it at all this month I have nothing left. How do I explain this to landlord. I am supposed to be working as part of tenancy agreement.

Jodyray Tue 30-Jun-09 22:12:36

Sorry to hear that you were made redundant sad. I take it as its the end of the month that your rent is due sometime soon?? I am not sure really what you can do but I hope you can sort out something or someone can perhaps help you out??...fingers crossed.

Pottytroll Tue 30-Jun-09 22:20:58

There isn't anyone to help me out as I don't live near family and yes the rent is due this weekend sad

AandK Tue 30-Jun-09 22:29:14

I'm sure your landlord can't blame you for being made redundant

Pottytroll Tue 30-Jun-09 22:33:32

Well I was unsure if he would or not and so I didn't tell him through fear and now it seems like its to late to tell him now as he will probably be angry with me and now I'm scared even more sad

Pottytroll Tue 30-Jun-09 22:34:00

bump

BCNS Tue 30-Jun-09 22:40:03

does your landlord not need to sign the HB form to say that's what your rent is?

( i might be wrong on this)

seriously just call the landlord.. better doing that than burying your head in the sand.. he'd have to give you notice.. and you could apply for housing when he does.

better get it sorted now.. than not paying your rent.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 30-Jun-09 22:41:22

Be honest and tell him especially of he needs to put money into an account to pay his mortgage.

bigstripeytiger Tue 30-Jun-09 22:42:53

Let your landlord know. He will probably be dissapointed, but if you have put in a HB claim then there is some prospect of him getting the money, which probaby wouldnt happen if he was trying to find someone else to rent your flat in the current economic climate.

Jodyray Tue 30-Jun-09 22:42:55

Oh its awful that you are too scared to tell him. I guess you have been through all the options of selling something, cutting back on other bills etc etc. Have you lived there a long time ie will he take past good tenancy into account do you think? How many DCs do you have and I am assuming that you are a lone parent as you dont mention a DP/DH above? Sorry if I am wrong, just thinking out loud blush. Is there no emergency money you can get from housing???

Tillyscoutsmum Tue 30-Jun-09 22:48:18

You need to tell him... Explain you have been made redundant and are in the process of making a HB claim (which will be back dated). Are you able to make any payment at the moment ? Even if its just part payment in, say, a weeks time ?

Just so you know - assuming your tenancy agreement is still running, you have to be a full 8 weeks in arrears before he can start possession proceedings.

Hopefully it won't come to that but I suspect there is more chance of him being understanding if you speak to him before the rent is due rather than just bury your head in the sand and hope he won't notice that its not been paid.

Can you chase HB and get an idea of when payment is due ? Ime, they need constantly chasing.

RockinSockBunnies Tue 30-Jun-09 22:50:17

What's happening with Housing Benefit? I know they can be totally useless when it comes to processing a claim. I've found that it helps to write to your MP or ask your local councillor to get involved in the case and that their input often speeds the process along.

In terms of what to tell the landlord, do you happen to know him well? How long have you lived at the property? If you've been there a significant amount of time and have always paid the rent on time, then I'd be honest about what's happening. But, bear in mind that there's can be a reluctance to accept people claiming Housing Benefit (I've never disclosed mine to any of my landlords). So, tread carefully. If in doubt, can you explain that you're redundant but should be able to pay in the very near future (but not mention HB)?

Pottytroll Tue 30-Jun-09 23:02:18

Housing benefit are going to backdate but only when they get to my claim which is in a "date order list" apparently. I have been a tenant for 8 months now and have never been late before. He adds 50 pounds on to the rent if its ever late so that means even more money ( he can do that its in the contract just didn't think it was ever going to affect me).
Housing benefit always pay in arrears (and the government wonder why there is a housing crisis) so when they do pay I will always be paying catch up. I feel like I am in vicious circle angry
I am a single parent with one dc and yes I've even sold a few things to raise as much cash as possible but I'm only going to have about a hundred pounds for him when the rent is 600!!!

Pottytroll Wed 01-Jul-09 13:46:33

bump

Pottytroll Wed 01-Jul-09 21:38:56

bump

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 02-Jul-09 08:32:35

Sorry you're gonna have to suck it up and call, maybe the CAB can help with that?

hullygully Thu 02-Jul-09 08:35:40

If you don't call he will HATE you and never trust you again...also, if you call, he can call HB (you have to authorise it)and mention eviction, that hurries them up. Please call. That £50 extra agreement sounds odd...

Pottytroll Fri 03-Jul-09 13:45:59

Just to let you all know. Landlord was very understanding. He's helping me out with a payment plan and has called housing benefit to hurry them along. 50 pound charge is legitimate its on my tenancy aggreament which is a standard short term tenancy.
THank you all for your help and advice hopefully I'll be out of this mess and back in employment soon grin

hullygully Fri 03-Jul-09 14:39:14

See? It's good to talk...glad things are getting sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now