Talk

Advanced search

How to welcome new neighbours?

(5 Posts)
notyummy Tue 30-Jun-09 19:18:25

We live in cul de sac of around 14 houses in a big estate. We have lived here 2 years, and are conscious that we hardly know our neighbours....we know the ones on one side to chat to slightly, and what they are called, but that is it. Everyone else we are on nodding terms with at best. DH works away a lot, and I work 4 days a week with a long commute, so we have busy lives and I guess we are not around that much - also 4 of the houses are rented and have quite a fast turnover of tenants.

Some new people have just bought the house opposite. Peering through the net curtains wink I see that they have just moved in. Dh and I went across a couple of times when a car was in the drive and knocked on the door with the intention of saying hello, introducing ourselves, and saying give us a shout if you need a hand. No one answered.

I was thinking of popping a card through the door saying welcome to the new house, we are x and y at no 4, feel free to come over and say hello if you want.

Too keen/stalkerish??

Some people seem to have great relationships with their neighbours so I want to try...but dont want to scare them. For all I know they have been hiding in the house already to avoid us when we knocked at the door!

sazlocks Tue 30-Jun-09 19:22:41

I think that's a lovely idea. When we moved in we had a party and got to meet the neighbours all in one go which was great. Five years on and whilst none of us are in and out of each others houses all the time, we have plenty of people to look after the house/ chickens etc while we are away and a couple of people that we can ask to babysit.

Tidey Tue 30-Jun-09 19:31:10

Okay since this section is 'What would YOU do?'....

I would leave it til they are actually outside their house and you happen to be outside yours. Then introduce yourselves / say hello / offer help or whatever. I wouldn't go over to their house in case they're incredibly busy putting it all in order. Personally I would've found it quite intimidating to have people knocking on the door when I first moved in to my house.

Mind you, I'm a right ignorant sod.

HuffwardlyRudge Tue 30-Jun-09 19:37:40

Why not put a 'Welcome to your new home' card through the letterbox, signed 'from the notyummys at number 42' and then introduce yourselves when you bump into them?

We moved into our last house around Christmas time and lots of our new neighbours put Christmas cards through the door, and some sent 'new home' cards too, and one even gave us a poinsettia as a new neighbour gift. It was lovely. Then when dd was born a few weeks later everyone sent cards and the odd baby vest or toy or book, so by the time I ventured out with baby dd I felt as if we belonged.

notyummy Tue 30-Jun-09 20:38:37

Good thoughts everyone, thanks!

The problem we have Tidey is that we are literally outside our house for minutes at a time everyday - 6 30 am and 5 45pm. 6 30 I am rushing for a long commute - 5 45 I have a tired and grumpy toddler who needs feeding. The odds of our paths crossing are really slim...we are around slightly more at weekend (although prob away 2 out of 4)....but we could still go a long time before us being outside our house coincided with them.

I thought the card might be a middle ground i.e if (like you) they wouldn't be too keen on chatting to someone new who knocked on their door, the card makes a less intrusive overture perhaps?.

Neighbour etiquette...it's such a minefield... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now