Talk

Advanced search

Unrestrained toddler in a car on the motorway...

(9 Posts)
wonderingwondering Mon 29-Jun-09 21:15:06

The car was going along at about 60mph, and there was a child, probably aged around 3, standing up between the front seats I actually felt sick when I saw it. My instinct was to call the police and give the registration number. I didn't. Should I have? Or is it none of my business?

kalo12 Mon 29-Jun-09 21:18:37

yes you should. I would

hobbgoblin Mon 29-Jun-09 21:19:10

It could have escaped. My DD used to do that.

SoupDragon Mon 29-Jun-09 21:19:36

Not if you were driving you shouldn't.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 29-Jun-09 21:23:12

My DD once managed to undo her car seat straps on a dual carriage way. In my mind I was thinking "oh feck, what do I do?!" as I couldn't pull over safely, and I was by myself so nobody else could help. Was a nervy drive til I could pull over safely.

hobbgoblin Mon 29-Jun-09 21:24:49

grin at soupdragon

malfoy Mon 29-Jun-09 21:24:55

in the olden days (over 30 years ago) we used to do this all the time. Between the front seats was prime position.

I shudder now at the thought of it.

You probably should.

Ripeberry Mon 29-Jun-09 21:25:55

A person at our school picks up 5 children from our school (aged 8-6yrs old) and she only has a saloon car. Two youngest are stuck in the middle seat with just the lap belt. But one always likes to stand up in the middle. angry
I've confronted her about it but she says the journey is only for less than 1 mile, but with a dangerous crossroads!
Another thing i'm amazed at is the amount of kids who automaticaly put the chest belt behind their back.
I've had a few kids over for playdates and they all do it. I always refuse to even move the car until they put it on correctly.
They usually come back with 'But my mum lets me' and i just say that we wear them properly in this car.
I've seen people sitting in the front passenger seat, breastfeeding babies whilst on the motorway shock

wonderingwondering Mon 29-Jun-09 21:28:44

DH was driving, although we have hands free.

Did you know that it's not illegal to make a 999 call while driving - I found that out after I'd pulled over to call to report a child wandering along the m'way verge. Still not particularly safe, but a bit of useful knowledge.

But yes - the reason I didn't call was because we used to loll around the backseat/boot all the time when we were children. But it made me go cold to see it, DH spotted it in his mirrors first as they overtook us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now