Talk

Advanced search

If you broke something in the supermarket?

(31 Posts)
notevenamousie Thu 25-Jun-09 17:10:46

???
Just that really.
Assuming there were no staff around that really seemed to notice, etc.

differentID Thu 25-Jun-09 17:14:26

um, I have been known to pick it up, find a staff member and say that I found it on the shelf and thought it was a bit dangerous in case small children got hold of it.blush

hobbgoblin Thu 25-Jun-09 17:14:42

If I could afford to confess I would. If not, I wouldn't.

Have to say it depends what shop I'm in. If it is a shop I feel fleeced in and undervalued as a customer anyhow then I'd less likely confess. If it were a shop I felt valued in and where I felt I received good value for money, then I'd more likely confess.

Also depends a bit on the item concerned.

Put it this way. If it was the end of the month before pay day and my CSA money hadn't gone in, and I was in Asda as opposed to Sainsbury, then I'd probably scarper.

SpawnChorus Thu 25-Jun-09 17:14:51

I'd go and tell someone and offer to pay (but hope that they wouldn't accept the offer! )

bigstripeytiger Thu 25-Jun-09 17:17:37

At the supermarket I shop in people arent charged for breakages, the staff just send someone along to clean it up, so I dont think it would matter if you owned up to it.

ninah Thu 25-Jun-09 17:18:38

I would tell someone so it could be cleared up
mostly it happens to me after I've paid, sadly

LaurieFairyCake Thu 25-Jun-09 17:18:46

I took a bottle of wine from the shelf once and another fell off (must have been leaning against it). Very snippy woman came over and said 'you will have to pay for that dear' and I said 'do you have cctv on this aisle' and she sniffed 'yes'.

'Well watch it back then as I did not touch the bottle, it must have been leaning against it'.

The manager hurried over very apologetic as he had been watching the cctv and gave me the wine for free and said I could choose another bottle as if it had fallen on me they would have been liable.

I was very happy grin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 25-Jun-09 17:20:08

I would tell someone and offer to pay for it which is what I have done when I have broken things.

thumbwitch Thu 25-Jun-09 17:24:54

if it made a mess I would go and tell someone to get it cleaned up. If it didn't, I probably would walk away quite quickly, or do what DiffID said.

If it was any other shop than a supermarket, I would offer to pay for the damage.

notevenamousie Thu 25-Jun-09 17:35:14

It was a cheap and cheerful bottle of wine.
No spillage. But I didn't offer to pay. Just wondering if I have committed a terrible crime against Tesco

GhostOfPsychomum5 Thu 25-Jun-09 17:38:06

I go find someone, or at the very least stand by is bright red..........never had to pay, which is a good job or I would have paid out millions to shops in my time......tad clumsy at time is meblush

ninah Thu 25-Jun-09 17:39:56

no spillage? I dropped one in the co-op car park, there was a lagoon! had just bought it!

Bonneville Thu 25-Jun-09 17:40:05

I have dropped (in the supermarket) a bottle of wine and a large carton of cream. Confessed both times and never been asked to pay.

Bonneville Thu 25-Jun-09 17:41:13

Lol Nina! When I dropped the wine it went everywhere. I swear there was a gallon in that bottle and not 70cl!

MaryBS Thu 25-Jun-09 17:41:48

I've never known Tesco ask for you to pay for something that got broken.

I was VERY impressed when I broke something in Sainsbury's once, AFTER paying for it, but while still in the store. They replaced it for free!

ninah Thu 25-Jun-09 17:43:56

cor! should've gone to sainsbury's
or should one say sainsbury?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 25-Jun-09 17:45:21

I went in to Asda to tell them I had dropped a carton of soup in the car park so they could give me something to clean it up, and they sent someone to do it and gave me another carton for free.

SlartyBartFast Thu 25-Jun-09 17:47:07

i had jsut paid for 12 eggs in sainsbury's, and the woman on the till said, Say I did it! and got me a repalcement!

SlartyBartFast Thu 25-Jun-09 17:47:35

they do allow for breakages, i am sure

mrsflowerpot Thu 25-Jun-09 17:49:38

I break things quite often... [clumsy]

I always tell them so they can clean it up and I've never been asked to pay for it. I even dropped a six-pack of bottled beer in the carpark at Sainsburys once and they gave me a new one even though I'd paid for it.

traceybath Thu 25-Jun-09 17:49:55

I'd tell them.

Waitrose policy is that anything broken in store is replaced - i once dropped a bottle of wine after paying for it and they just got me a new one.

I'd also worry that something broken could be dangerous.

ProfYaffle Thu 25-Jun-09 17:50:16

I once saw a man lift up a case of wine in Tesco and the whole lot fell out of the bottle, the stench of wine was quite overwhelming. He was v embaressed but staff just cleaned up, didn't charge him, helped him pick up a new box.

Personally, if I had been clumsy I would own up and offer to pay but be miffed if they actually took my money! If I felt it was their fault, ie something stacked carelessly or put in a silly place I wouldn't offer to pay.

ProfYaffle Thu 25-Jun-09 17:50:36

Fell out of the bottom not bottle!

SlartyBartFast Thu 25-Jun-09 17:51:26

dd's buggy i think, bashed into a bottle of Vimto,
what a mess, and a smell but they were ultra fine in the co-op

TrinityRhino Thu 25-Jun-09 17:53:13

I have dropped a jar of jam and a jar of pasta sauve (seperate occasions)

I made everyone near aware of the glass and went and found someone to clear it up

I never thought to offer to pay blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now