Talk

Advanced search

Should I cancel my son's birthday party?

(7 Posts)
zeke Mon 22-Jun-09 16:58:50

I'm having a (mild) panic over my son's party. He is in reception.

I gave out invites for a party to be held at the start of the summer holidays last week - inviting his whole class (30 children) + 4 extras.

So far I have had:

6 regrets and
4 acceptances

I did expect regrets, who know holiday dates, to reply first but now they have...sad

I guess my question is, in your experience, do the regrets come in faster or is this a good indication that there is going to be a very poor attendance (I did expect a good 30% of the class not to be able to make it)?

I'm very happy to host a party with 10 children but I have a horror of the acceptances turning to regrets at the last minute as last minute holidays/outings are undertaken. The horror being my son in tears because none of his friends turned up to his party (village hall/entertainer).

I currently have the option of cancelling his party and sharing an earlier date with another child, but only days to act on that.

TrinityRhino Mon 22-Jun-09 17:01:25

Im my experience not many people actually reply to say they are coming

I think it will be fine smile

GrimmaTheNome Mon 22-Jun-09 17:07:28

It is a fair way off - people often don't reply till about a week before, unless they definitely know they can't come in which case they are more likely to reply quickly. But it does make it hard to organise. If you do school pick-up, theres no harm in asking - save the other mum the trouble of contacting you.

bigstripeytiger Mon 22-Jun-09 17:13:48

I agree that people often leave it quite late to reply, especially if there isnt an RSVP date on the invite.

IME you can usually expect about 70% of those invited to turn up.

No harm in asking people directly. Just say that you need to know for catering.

zeke Mon 22-Jun-09 17:14:13

Thanks TrinityRhino!

Having spoken to the other mums who have had whole class parties (my son's class) this year all of the parents do RSVP (with the exception of one boy who never attends parties). I do know we are very luckly with that!

I am just hoping that people are quicker with the regrets and the acceptance will start to roll in soon.

I was SO grateful to a mum who said her son could come today!

zeke Mon 22-Jun-09 17:17:04

Thanks GrimmaTheNome and bigstripeytiger - that is reassuring!

I will start asking some mums tomorrow.

I guess the chances all 23 children who haven't replied yet not being able to come are pretty slim!

Just a worry it being right at the start of the holiday and a week day party, too!

zeke Wed 24-Jun-09 12:03:08

Just coming back to this, in case it reassures anyone else searching for the same dilemma later!

We are now up to:

6 regrets (so no change)
9 acceptances

18 still to reply (loads of time left for that)

So, it did seem like the regrets came in first. I think it is highly unlikely that all of the 18 yet to reply won't be able to come but as we now have at least 9 (10 inc my son) I have relaxed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now