Talk

Advanced search

here is another one for you wise people? Hair dying/13year old boy?

(11 Posts)
FairLadyRantALot Thu 18-Jun-09 13:39:14

Well, my son does not only want an ear piercng (see my otehr post)...he also wants to dye his hair....he would like to dye it black with red tips or some such thing...(he is a bit emo/goth/greb or whatever he is...lol...

am not sure about this one, and with this one I can say, I would feel no different if he was a girl....because of teh chemicals in hair dye, etc....and well, he has gorgeous blond hair in a funky style...

well...all views welcome

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Thu 18-Jun-09 13:42:36

It'd be a no for me on this one. Some of the lads at DS's school (also emo/goth/greb!) have dyed hair, usually black. To me it's just wrong.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 18-Jun-09 13:42:52

How would school react? DD's school does not allow dyed hair for instance.
Also, does he realise that if he doesn't like it there is no quick way back from dying blond hair black? It would look seriously hideous when growing it out as well.
I will not be allowing my DDs to dye their hair until they are 16 if that is any help!

pagwatch Thu 18-Jun-09 13:44:07

No way.
The school would not permit it anyway.

FairLadyRantALot Thu 18-Jun-09 13:47:10

kinda like my view than....

well....we sort of said we might let him for over the holidays, but it would mean that he would get his hair cut off before returning to school...still don't like the idea of it, though...

the other option would be, that he just gets his tips done in whatever colour (blue, red or whatever) and than has that cout out beofre school starts...

we have not agreed to anyhting yet, but didn't just want to say "NO"... and said we would discuss it...

nancy75 Thu 18-Jun-09 13:54:17

let him get a wash in wash out dye and do it in the holidays. it will be gone by the time he goes back to school.
its not like he wants 56 stars tattoed on his face!

FairLadyRantALot Thu 18-Jun-09 14:59:48

yeah...phew...thank god he is not asking for tattoes or such thing...

clumsymum Thu 18-Jun-09 15:05:55

Yep, unlike a tattoo or a piercing, it isn't permanent, so I think my stance would be

At the start of the holidays, you can have it done (just the tips) IF YOU PAY FOR IT YOURSELF, and you get it all cut out before term starts again.

I think paying for it himself is important. It isn't going to be cheap, so he needs to find part-time work, or do whatever he does to earn pocket money before then.
He may decide it isn't worth it, and he can spend the money on something he'd like better.

Paolosgirl Thu 18-Jun-09 15:07:43

Temp. hair colour sounds like a good compromise, as does making him pay for any colour - bet that puts him off!

clumsymum Thu 18-Jun-09 19:02:20

Oh and for heavens sake, don't allow him in the bathroom on his own with a pack of hair dye.

Otherwise you'l need to redecorate.

Ronaldinhio Thu 18-Jun-09 19:04:58

let him do what he wants with his hair

it grows back and there is nothing funnier than the dodgy hair you had in your youth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now