Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

if your ds (13 y.) would want his er pierced...

(22 Posts)
FairLadyRantALot Thu 18-Jun-09 13:14:41

because my es is asking for this....and I kinda don't want him, too....but than I think I am silly and at the end of the day it would be part of his self expression...which I encourage in every other way (indeed I love his style and love that he cares for fashion, etc...)....

so...what would you do? Would you let him, even if you don't like it or would you say NO

fucksticks Thu 18-Jun-09 13:17:09

I'd let him I think, but not straight away.
Maybe say that if he still really wants it done on his 14th birthday you'll agree then?
Will give enough time to see if its a phase or something he r'ear'ly wants grin

alarkaspree Thu 18-Jun-09 13:17:29

I would let him, yes.

ClaraDeLaNoche Thu 18-Jun-09 13:18:25

I think you'd have to let him, even if a little bit of you dies inside. I do remember in 1985 I thought they were the last word in cool. Not now though I would add.

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Thu 18-Jun-09 13:19:55

Make sure it's what he really wants rather than just a whim.
If it's what he really wants get his ear pierced at the start of the summer holidays. He'll have to take them out for games from September so you need to give the hole chance to heal.

HecatesTwopenceworth Thu 18-Jun-09 13:20:10

My position on this is already clear. Not that it has come up, but I already know what I'd say if it did. grin

I do not approve.

I will not pay.

If they want it done, they can get a job and pay for it themselves.

I will not take them there or pick them up.

I will probably bring it up and comment on it for the next 42 years. grin

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 18-Jun-09 13:21:23

If you think you would allow your 13 year old DD to do it, then you should allow your DS.

AMumInScotland Thu 18-Jun-09 13:33:18

I would have let him, though probably not instantly in case it was just a whim. But I don't have any problem with boys having pierced ears, and I think 13 is a reasonable age for boys or girls to want to do this.

(BTW DS is 15 and has never asked to have his done)

FairLadyRantALot Thu 18-Jun-09 13:35:07

well, LadyGP....I hvae no dd's, so, never really thought about it....but must admit, I suppose, I may well just wouldn't mind so much if he was a girl....I really don't like it on boys/man...lol...so..that is probably why I feel a bit hmm about it, lol...

Hecate...I suppose that is the way to go...if he wants to spend his own money on it, than so be it....

good point about having it done in the beginning of the summer holidays...

I suppose, it could be worse...one of his mates got a lip piercing (and yes it is a proper one)....lovely lad, but the piercing freaks me out, lol

pagwatch Thu 18-Jun-09 13:41:56

I wouldn't let him . But then I wouldn't let a DD either.

But DS1 is 15 and would never want any piercings and DD is only 6

scaryteacher Thu 18-Jun-09 13:46:31

I have a great get out in that my 13yo ds has been told by the cardiologist never to have piercings or tattoos; so that's my problem solved!

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 18-Jun-09 13:53:26

That's interesting Scaryteacher. DH has a congenital heart defect and has to have ABs before any dental treatment etc, but I don't think the penny dropped that he should probably not have got his ears pierced.

scaryteacher Thu 18-Jun-09 19:28:52

ds has a vsd, and has had the riot act read about keeping teeth clean because of the risk of endocarditis, and also has to have ABs before any dental treatment. The cardiologists both in UK and in Belgium have both said absolutely no piercings or tattoos as that carries an endocarditis risk as well.

When I originally looked at this thread title I had to look twice as it says 'have his er pierced'....I did think 13 might be a bit young for that!

piscesmoon Thu 18-Jun-09 19:45:22

I don't think that they have wanted but DS3 went off with a friend who was having it done and we told him NO WAY was he to do it.If they want self expression they will have to wait until 18yrs. Hopefully they will have sense by then.

notcitrus Thu 18-Jun-09 19:54:42

I'd make sure he went somewhere reputable... my mum gave in when I was 13 after a girl at school told her about doing hers herself.

Didn't stop me getting a friend to do another hole for me when I was 15, but at least we did it reasonably safely (original piercing stud, loads of surgical spirit, numb ear with spray deodorant, squeeze stud to back via ear)

I would have done a few more but my dad made clear any more piercings would mean he wouldn't pay my student grant!

bruffin Wed 01-Jul-09 00:21:23

My DS 13 really wouldn't want piercings at the moment thankfully, but I would not be happy about it if he did want one. I just don't like earrings on boys at all, most of the boys that have a piercing in our area wear those big cubic zirconia and it just looks trashy.

Tortington Wed 01-Jul-09 00:22:17

id let him

mears Wed 01-Jul-09 00:24:17

My DS1 said he wanted his ear pierced at age 13yrs. I said no.

He is 22 yrs old, lives away from home and still hasn't had it done! What does that say?

Tortington Wed 01-Jul-09 00:28:35

piercings heal - it makes no mind if he changes his mind in the long term imo

mears Wed 01-Jul-09 00:29:57

Don't think he ever wanted one in the first place - he was just testing me smile

Tortington Wed 01-Jul-09 00:30:40

my boys dont have piercings or tattoos (yet) i think a straigh forward ear piercing looks wank - and anything more - top of ear - multi piercings etc - to much for a 13 yr old

jasper Wed 01-Jul-09 00:42:33

mears - 22??? where has the time gone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now