Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

33 weeks pregnant, 2 confirmed cases of swine flu at work, 5 days left to work. Is it worth the risk or not?

(37 Posts)
trixymalixy Wed 17-Jun-09 20:37:52

Got into work this morning to find that alcohol hand gel stuff they have in hospitals all over the place. There have been 2 confirmed swine flu cases from my work.

I told my DH and parents when I got home and they were horrified I hadn't come home straight away. It never even occured to me that I shouldn't be at work.

WWYD, I only have 5 working days left at work before I leave for good, should i stay away or not?

I don't want to not go to work as I will miss my lunch and presentation and not be able to say bye to everyone, but DH and my parents think I'm mad and it's not worth the risk.

I'm going to phone HR in the morning to get the official line on it, but wondered what others thought.

ClaireDeLoon Wed 17-Jun-09 20:39:45

TBH I would stay away. It isn't worth the risk for you and your baby, any reasonable employer would understand that.

BitOfFun Wed 17-Jun-09 20:41:18

Hmm, at the risk of sounding hysterical, I'd probably stay home. But ringing HR is a good idea. Maybe get phone advice from GP in the morning too?

LBsmum Wed 17-Jun-09 20:43:13

I heard a doctor on the telly saying that pregnancy was considered as an 'underlying health factor' that puts people at a greater risk from swine flu, I think it would be a shame for you to miss your final week but if it was me I would weigh this up against risk to pregnancy and steer clear, could you have a bit of a do with collegues post baby when you bring him'her back it

thirtysomething Wed 17-Jun-09 20:43:22

If you do get it, I suppose you run the risk of premature labour if you get a temperature so I'm sure they would understand at work? It sounds perfectly reasonable and a doctor would no doubt sign you off early to be on the safe side. i guess you have to make your own risk assessment though?

trixymalixy Wed 17-Jun-09 20:44:21

Really? sad

Any other week and I'd be jumping at the chance of some time off, but it's my last week ever and I've been there 9 years.

trixymalixy Wed 17-Jun-09 20:46:52

I thought MN would agree with me that they were being a bit hysterical!

psychomum5 Wed 17-Jun-09 20:47:08

nope, would finish early if this were me

I know you miss the leaving bit, but for this, on the news this week......I would not risk it.

bumpybecky Wed 17-Jun-09 20:49:12

I'd finish now, sorry! I'm in no way hysterical about swine flu / medical stuff.

ScummyMummy Wed 17-Jun-09 20:55:18

The woman who died from swine flu in Scotland was pregnannt, trix. The baby (born prematurely) died too. Honestly not trying to scare you and haven't worked out whether her "underlying health condition" was the pregnancy or something else on top but I have to say that I would be wanting to steer well clear, tbh. I'm honestly fairly non-panicky as a general rule but I would be signing myself off in your shoes.

panicpants Wed 17-Jun-09 20:58:08

I would stay away...definitly.

chipkid Wed 17-Jun-09 20:59:59

the woman who died had suffered a number of strokes previously I think I read and her baby did not die of swine flu. Her premature labour may have been caused by the flu. HOWEVER, you are vulnerable and it just is not worth the risk of becoming ill. For the sake of 5 days, get the hell out of there and avoid any unecessary stress. You could always ask for a "leaving do" when the place is flu free!

psychomum5 Wed 17-Jun-09 21:00:37

even if you don;t get it as badly as the lady in scotland (god forbid), do you really want to risk tho ruining the rest of your pregnancy??

I caught chicken pox at the end of my third pregnancy, DD3 was born with it, I was ill.....ruined our first few weeks as a family and she is left with an immune deficiancy.

swine flu can be far far worse than chicken po.....you really should listen to your family on this, they have your best interests at heart as they love you so deeply.

mrsdisorganised Wed 17-Jun-09 21:01:33

I wouldn't go back in either.

smallchange Wed 17-Jun-09 21:02:06

The woman in Glasgow had severe underlying health problems, not just pregnancy, but got to say trixy I'd also probably not risk it tbh and I'm as gung ho as you get about these things.

The risk is small, but the potential consequencies..

It's hard though. It seems to be all over Glasgow at the moment (although they're no longer diagnosing with lab test, just be symptoms so I suppose some of the cases I'm hearing about will be false-positives). It's sad about your leaving do, but can't you come in with your new baby and maybe have something then?

(tis shonaspurtle btw)

sandpebbles Wed 17-Jun-09 21:03:46

not worth the risk at all to go back to work!
all the best for you and your baby

smallorange Wed 17-Jun-09 21:05:44

I am 38 weeks pregnant and Bil has just had two cases of swine flu confirmed at work (glasgow). Sil phoned yesterday to ask whether it was ok for DD2 to come to their house - Bil wasn't showing symptoms.

I said yes, but wonder whether I did the right thing.

ScummyMummy Wed 17-Jun-09 21:08:08

Thanks, chipkid. I'm at the same stage of pregnancy as trixy and have been wondering and worrying a bit about whether pregnancy is in itself considered an "underlying health condition" as there has been some swine flu fairly near here, though a while back now. You've set my mind at rest a bit. Poor woman and baby and their family though.

I still wouldn't go in, fwiw!

llareggub Wed 17-Jun-09 21:13:22

Ring for medical advice first, then HR. You won't need a med-cert as you can self-cert for the first week.

schilke Wed 17-Jun-09 21:18:13

Well I would go in as I'd refuse to get hysterical. Mind you I'd probably catch it and wish I had been hysterical.

Is pregnancy an underlying health condition with normal flu? If it is then I'd go in. The woman in Scotland had a lot more health problems.

I am not saying you are hysterical btw!

allthewayhome Wed 17-Jun-09 21:27:29

Yes, pregnancy is a risk factor for worse than normal 'normal flu'. Really in a way this is normal flu, it's just a new strain, which is why more people will get it and we're not quite sure yet how bad it will be. In a couple of years from now, when this pandemic is (hopefully) over, H1N1 will be just another one of the different kinds of 'normal flu' out there like the other strains that were once pandemics. It's what it's going to do over the next couple of years that no one's sure about, unfortunately.

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/ferguswalsh/2009/06/the_risks_relating_to_pregnancy.shtml

I don't want to scare the OP either but there's no way I would be going back in to work if it was me, it's just not worth it for only five days.

chipkid Wed 17-Jun-09 21:36:42

scummyummy it is difficult not to worry about this thing-particularly when you are carrying a baby. I worry about my children and they are strong, fit and healthy!

trixymalixy Wed 17-Jun-09 21:38:19

smallorange, I also work in Glasgow, i wonder if your BIL works at the same place as me? large building on SVS?

So the verdict is overwhelmingly not to risk it!

trixymalixy Wed 17-Jun-09 21:40:09

Ooh just noticed your name change shonasuprtle, was wondering where you were!!

EssieW Wed 17-Jun-09 21:42:35

I'm pregnant and wouldn't go in if a similar situation arose. I would also have to be careful as have asthma and an infection such as flu makes it worse. A respiratory infection and pregnancy are an unpleasant combination - which I know from getting a chest infection when pregnant with DS1.

I'm due in October and will be very cautious if the epidemic picks up in the autumn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now