Talk

Advanced search

If you saw a man leave his two children in a buggy, parked outside a shop

(29 Posts)
Sheeta Fri 12-Jun-09 10:30:36

Double buggy, children were about 3 and 1 in a P&T style buggy. The 3 year old could easily have got himself out of the buggy and wandered into the road.

Would you have said something?

purepurple Sat 13-Jun-09 08:46:18

No
None of your business

TrinityRhino Sat 13-Jun-09 08:47:01

no I wouldn't

mrsruffallo Sat 13-Jun-09 08:47:23

No, wouldn't have commented.
He knows his kids better than anyone else

5inthebed Sat 13-Jun-09 08:47:23

Nope.

hercules1 Sat 13-Jun-09 08:48:39

No, not at all.

misdee Sat 13-Jun-09 08:53:39

nope, but would've kept a distant eye on the kids.

there are some places i cant get into with a buggy, so leave it outside with older dd's if possible

EyeballshasManBoobs Sat 13-Jun-09 08:56:04

Probably not but would have stayed and watched the children till he came back.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Sat 13-Jun-09 09:10:32

No, just b/c the 3yo physically could have jumped out doesn't mean they will at all. Presume he was popping into the shop rather than doing a full supermarket sweep!

EffiePerine Sun 14-Jun-09 08:27:43

My nearly 3yo can't get out of the p&t if strapped in (and it's a bugger tyo get in some shop doors)

Sycamoretreeisvile Sun 14-Jun-09 08:33:03

As in local corner shop type of thing? No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't myself but saying that, I would utterly trust my 3 year old to stay put.

She also wouldn't be able to unstrap herself from our Mountain buggy double (not that I ever strap her in now anyway.

littleducks Sun 14-Jun-09 08:40:55

i used to have a p and t and there are several 'corner shop' style shops here on quite residential roads

i left both kids outside occassionally, more often if they were sleeping and would tell dd to 'look after' her bro (she is a bit bossy by nature so this appealed to her)

I would watch them though and never do that in a high street or shopping centre (but then you can normaally get buggy in shop so no need)

LackaDAISYcal Sun 14-Jun-09 08:43:00

No

seeker Sun 14-Jun-09 08:43:04

Why on earth would I have said anything? I used to do this sort of thing all the time. I'm presuming this was a little shop in a town and he was nipping in for a paper, not a massive out of town supermarket and a months shop.

EldonAve Sun 14-Jun-09 08:59:32

no
I sometimes do the same at the paper shop
mine can't unstrap themselves and can be seen through the window

KristinaM Sun 14-Jun-09 09:01:13

no

notsoteenagemum Sun 14-Jun-09 09:10:16

No, I'd assume he'd taught his dc as I taught mine to never undo the buggy straps, and chances are if they did they'd follow Dad into the shop not into the road.

This comes from someone who as a 6wo baby was left outside the shop in a pram.
My godmother came out to find me lying on the pavement in a box, as someone had nicked the pram!

saintmaybe Sun 14-Jun-09 09:14:50

No, but might have hovered. They'd almost certainly be fine, and just because he didn't have someone he could ask to keep an eye on them for a minute doesn't mean I couldn't secretly do it anyway!

purepurple Sun 14-Jun-09 09:15:07

lol at someone stealing your pram and also shock
My pram was burnt and ruined by a stray firework kindly thrown by a 1960's chav type.
Luckily, I wasn't in it, but so easily could have been as it was common practice to leave babies in prams outside shops and houses then.

brimfull Sun 14-Jun-09 09:16:27

no I would think -ah the world is stll safe enough for people to do what our mums did

wastingmyeducation Sun 14-Jun-09 09:29:31

I think people think I'm odd for parking DS outside the local baker's and the entire frontage is glass so he isn't even out of sight. hmm

TheProvincialLady Sun 14-Jun-09 09:37:54

You would have had your work cut out in the 1970s, saying something to each and every mother who went shopping.

madwomanintheattic Sun 14-Jun-09 09:45:41

my mum did this circa 1974 and went home without my sister after buying her paper. someone recognised her and brought her home after about 2 hours.

i might have said something to her, but not anyone who was actually planning on picking them back up again after coming out of the shop, no.

Babieseverywhere Sun 14-Jun-09 09:48:36

Nothing, I do the same in our local small village (small shops with large front windows to watch the pram though) and my DH would do also.

Our nearly 3 year old can not undo the Phil and Ted straps nor can my 9 month old. Plus I reckon anyone willing to steal the pram and baby would not want the loud snotty toddler !!!

saintmaybe Sun 14-Jun-09 10:01:35

There are just a lot more cars on the road now than in the 70's.

i really don't worry about kids being stolen from outside shops, though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now