Talk

Advanced search

About Christmas? (long, sorry!)

(13 Posts)
Fruitbeard Wed 10-Jun-09 21:37:24

After the last visit I made to my parents' house, it's become clear we can no longer stay there because of my dad's alzheimers. He is unable to cope with our 4 yr old for more than an hour or so and has taken to shouting at her quite nastily if she does things he doesn't approve of (ie anything that your average 4 yr old does!), or doesn't shut the door behind her, stuff like that. The last visit was very stressful and I don't want to subject her (or me!) to that anymore. I'd like her to have some nice memories of her grandad rather than him screaming at her...

Anyway,

We haven't been up for Christmas since DD was born and mum would really like us to go up there, especially as dad is going downhill very fast.

We would really like to go up for Christmas, to give my mum support if nothing else, but if we were to go to a hotel my mum would insist on cooking us Christmas dinner, which would be more stress for her and I really don't want to impose on her at the moment.
Because of his alzheimers dad can't/won't travel long distances and he really isn't well enough to visit restaurants etc.

Also DD would chafe at being in a hotel room in the evenings and tbh so would we!

So.... I thought a solution might be to hire a holiday cottage/self-catering place nearby for the long Christmas weekend, pick mum, dad and brother up on Christmas morning, cook the dinner for everyone (no hassle for me, I love catering for a crowd!), then they could get a taxi back when they were ready to go. Also DD gets a 'home' type environment rather than being restricted by a hotel...

What d'you reckon? Good idea? Doomed to disaster?

Surfermum Wed 10-Jun-09 21:38:49

Sounds like a brilliant plan to me.

Sorry about your Dad, my mum's in the early stages and it is very hard for all concerned.

thisisyesterday Wed 10-Jun-09 21:40:18

i think it sounds like a fab compromise

LadyOfWaffle Wed 10-Jun-09 21:41:09

Sounds a great idea to me I'd book pretty soon though I guess. Sorry about your dad x

snickersnack Wed 10-Jun-09 21:41:44

Sounds lovely. Can't see a downside, really.

NeedaNewName Wed 10-Jun-09 21:41:58

Sounds like a fab idea - not sure they'd be able to get a taxi Christmas day though!

Wow how organised are you?!

Surfermum Wed 10-Jun-09 21:43:13

They would get a taxi on Christmas Day, it's just more expensive.

Poledra Wed 10-Jun-09 21:43:29

Sounds like a fabulous plan. One word of warning - make sure you have all the cooking things you need (big roasting tin, cooking knives etc) as the holiday cottage might now have everything you need.

Poledra Wed 10-Jun-09 21:43:56

not

Tommy Wed 10-Jun-09 21:45:25

sounds like a good idea

sorry about your Dad. We have been through that "getting cross with the children" phase with my Dad so I know where you're coming from... sad

AMumInScotland Wed 10-Jun-09 21:46:20

That sounds a lovely idea - but do look and book something quite soon, as there are fewer selfcatering places available over Christmas - some close completely for the winter, and others over Christmas and New Year to have a break themselves.

PortAndLemon Wed 10-Jun-09 21:48:16

Good idea, but be aware that holiday cottages book up very quickly for Christmas week, so you probably need to be moving fast on a booking.

Fruitbeard Wed 10-Jun-09 22:01:03

Thanks so much

Surfermum, sorry to hear about your mum, and Tommy about your dad

Well, I've been googling and there are 3 (3!) holiday cottages available on the entire Wirral, two of which are gorgeous but hideously expensive... so DH has suggested we see if anyone wants to house-swap!

So may I draw your kind attention to this thread?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now