Talk

Advanced search

should i make a complaint to the doctors surgery?

(10 Posts)
mad4myboys Tue 09-Jun-09 19:21:04

i am on citalopram which was increased to 40mg a month ago as i was struggling, then got my last prescription (they give you 1 month at a time) no probs, took it as normal, the last week i have been REALLY struggling, especially with my baby (bad ongoing health issues still ongoing) and toddler (PND) was at doctors today and she was asking how i was feeling i said i dont know what was wrong with me lately (she told me i had something wrong where the breastbone meets the rib? Inflammation or something?That gets worse with stress) and that would go within a few weeks which it did then the last week the pain comes back with avengence, anyway she said 'why has your doesage gone back down to 20mg?' i said it hasnt. Bascially the person that did my last script did it what was on my repeat slip (20mg) and didnt do it on 40mg which was the last script done.

If had such a bad week, do i make an official complaint? I know mistakes are made but ive really suffered for it. Who really checks their medication for the dosage? I dont know about you but i trust them! Alsomy baby is on alot of meds, does that mean i should be checking no one has fiddled with them??

Milliways Tue 09-Jun-09 19:26:09

Was it a repeast request from you - where you tick whay you want?

If the "request" was for the lower dose that is what the staff will print (reception staff can print repeats as previously authorised by the doctor, but cannot alter).

The new dose will be a separate script to the old one, so maybe you had the wrong repeat request?

Check the prescription next time you collect it so it can be altered or re-done BEFORE you queue at the pharmacist.

Sorry to hear you are suffering though, hope you adjust soon.

Milliways Tue 09-Jun-09 19:26:41

Apologies for typos!

thisisyesterday Tue 09-Jun-09 19:27:43

hmm well I think you should always check your prescription.
and they can only give you what is on the repeat prescription thing surely? not what they think is right?

i realise you've suffered, but as you say, people do make mistakes.

mad4myboys Tue 09-Jun-09 19:40:46

no, we do our requests online and you type in the info yourselves, this was DEF right as have the email sent.GP agreed it was the person who printed this off fault

Sidge Tue 09-Jun-09 19:42:24

The prescriptions clerk just issues what was requested on the repeat prescription - if you ticked 20mg, that will be what they issue. It is not their job to check what they think you need or what was issued at the last consultation; they only work from what is on the request.

It's your responsibility to check firstly the repeat request, and secondly the actual printed prescription when you hand it in to the pharmacist. So yes you should ALWAYS check your prescriptions, as it's you (or your children) that will be taking them.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sidge Tue 09-Jun-09 19:43:30

Oh just seen your response, took too long to type!

You should have checked it when you collected the prescription though and gone straight back in if it was wrong.

mad4myboys Tue 09-Jun-09 19:48:14

i dont pick them up, was delivered by the hospital pharmacy.As i had a few days left of one script it just went into the cupboard..

bumpybecky Tue 09-Jun-09 19:52:25

this happened to me with dd's medication as she'd had it at a lower dose that was later increased as it stopped being as effective.

I know I put the right repeat form in, but the person who printed off the prescription selected the wrong doseage. We only worked out what was happening about 2 weeks in after she'd wet the bed virtually every night, despite taking the meds

I didn't complain officially (we should have checked hre meds when they were dispensed), but made sure they took the lower dose off dd's repeat meds list so they couldn't make the same mistake again.

Hope you're feeling better very soon

mad4myboys Tue 09-Jun-09 19:56:28

thanks bumpy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now